Leyton Orient 1-0 Morecambe

A late own goal broke 10-man Morecambe's hearts as they came away empty handed despite a resolute display at Leyton Orient on Saturday.

Saturday, 19th March 2016, 3:55 pm
Updated Saturday, 19th March 2016, 5:01 pm
Leyton Orient v Morecambe - Shrimps Live

When Barry Roche was sent off after just 12 minutes with Kevin Nolan’s side awarded a penalty it looked like it was going to be a long afternoon for The Shrimps.

Kieran O’Hara saved Jay Simpson’s penalty however and a string of fine saves looked like handing Jim Bentley’s side a point.

But there was to be a sucker punch on 80 minutes as Alan Goodall could only clear Jerome Binnom-Williams’ cross into Ryan Edwards with the deflection leaving O’Hara with no chance.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

After a low key opening the game came to life 12 minutes in as Roche saw red.

Simpson was played in on goal and rounded The Shrimps stopper before being brought down, referee Ben Toner pulling out a red card and pointing to the spot.

Once O’Hara had replaced the unfortunate Jamie Devitt, top goalscorer Simpson’s spot kick was low, hard and down the middle with the Manchester United loanee saving with his legs.

The game was then largely camped in Morecambe’s half as the visitors regrouped but the chances didn’t flow, O’Hara hanging onto Simpson’s header on 25 minutes

Morecambe were struggling to find a way out however with O’Hara producing a fine save to help Armand Gnanduillet’s header onto the crossbar on the half hour.

Orient were flattering to deceive in the final third though and The Shrimps looked increasingly settled as the first half drew to a close.

There was still time for O’Hara to deny Simpson again with a save down low to his left ensuring the half ended all square.

After a double change the hosts piled on the pressure early in the second half, one of the replacements Lloyd James the first to go close with a free-kick that went narrowly wide.

O’Hara was then called into action to deny Binnom-Williams before helping over Nolan’s header from the resultant corner.

It was now one-way traffic with Gnanduillet the next to test The Shrimps stopper, O’Hara producing a fine low save before again being in action from the subsequent corner, keeping out Shaun Brisley’s header.

Morecambe remained resolute though and after weathering a real storm the chances began to dry up.

A second wave was always going to come though, substitute Ollie Palmer seeing a header come back off the top of the bar 13 minutes from time.

The winner came three minutes later and it was a real sickener for the visitors.

Goodall could only clear Binnom-Williams’ cross from the left into Edwards with the ball rebounding past O’Hara and into the net.

There was to be no late drama with Ellison's tame shot that was held by Alex Cisak the closest Morecambe came to an equaliser.

Leyton Orient: Cisak, Hunt, Brisley, Ramage, Binnom-Williams, Clohessy (capt) (Moore 46), Atangana (James 46), Nolan (Palmer 67), McAnuff, Simpson, Gnanduillet. Subs not used: Gregory, Turgott, Jahraldo-Martin, Pollock.

Booked: Nolan, James.

Morecambe: Roche, Beeley (capt), Edwards, Goodall, Conlan (Wildig 85), Kenyon, Fleming, Barkhuizen, Devitt (O’Hara 14), Ellison, Miller (McGowan 73). Subs not used:Molyneux, Mullin, McKnight, Stockton.

Booked: Miller, Ellison. Sent off: Roche

Referee: Ben Toner.Attendance: 4,442 (102 away)