Vale 24-7 Broughton Park - game abandoned

Vale’s game with Broughton Park was abandoned on Saturday following an injury to Park’s Tom Feehally in the 71st minute after he had been knocked out and was detained overnight for observation before being sent home.

Monday, 16th November 2015, 4:40 pm
Jonty Higgin makes the break.

Whether the game will have to be played will be subject to a decision made by the organising committee but if the result should not stand it would be a huge disappointment to the Vale of Lune who extended their unbeaten North One West run to three games.

On a bleak day, prior to kick off, the whole of The Lane fell eerily silent as a solemn minute’s silence was held in memory of those killed and maimed in the Paris massacre.

Vale were quickly into their stride, making light of the wind and rain, as the ball was moved confidently around.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Jonty Higgin powered through and suddenly Fergus Owens was gracefully slinking his way over for a try converted by Ben Dorrington in the third minute.

Gradually Park worked their way downfield and in the 17th minute they drew level with a penalty try.

Vale struggled to contain a forward lunge from a five metre line out, referee Henry had little hesitation awarding the score in addition to signalling out Andy Powers as the miscreant, and despatching him to the sin-bin.

In the 31st minute Charlie Lomas kicked a penalty goal to give his team valuable breathing space and as the half drew to a close the Vale added to their total when Owens looped round behind the posts for a try converted by Lomas.

Changes were made in the pack for the second half and in the 54th minute the Vale produced another impressive score.

Al Crookall came roaring inside off his wing before passing inside to Owens.

At one stage Owens looked in danger of being caught but a subtle change of pace took him over the line; his try being converted by Lomas with a punchy kick from wide on the left.

The Vale’s lead looked reasonably secure but they had to be alert stave off any of Park’s advances.

Just before the unfortunate injury to Feehally, Broughton were running around the fringes of Vale’s twenty two with too much freedom for comfort.

Determined defending ensured the line held before referee Henry sensibly blew his whistle.

*Vale’s third team went out of the LBS Bowl at the second round stage, losing 24-3 away against Oldham 2.

Meanwhile the fourths moved into the next round of the BEST Shield following their 36-0 home victory against Carrington 1.