SLIDESHOW: Heysham Atoms 46-16 Haydock Warriors

The Heysham Atoms’ incredible home form continued with another high scoring victory against a very good attacking St Helens team that had beaten league leaders Clock Face Miners only a few weeks ago.

Against the run of play the Atoms opened the scoring when on their last play they opted to run rather than kick and captain Hall crashed over.

Callum Hall in action against Haydock.

Callum Hall in action against Haydock.

Jake Harrison then ran from centre on a tap 20 metres restart to break the line and finish under the posts at the other end, Billy Livingstone converted.

Haydock kept their shape well though and were able to create the overlap and get on the scoreboard to make it 10-4.

In form second rower Callum Hall’s enthusiasm usually put him in the right place at the right time and this was the case as good line speed pressurised the Haydock runners. The ball was fumbled and the ever alert Hall picked up the loose ball and he too ended under the sticks for a 16 – 4 lead.

The distribution skills of Haydock’s loose forward brought them their second try after some shoddy Atoms defending close to the line as the Atoms led 16-8 at half time.

The Atoms refined their tactics at the break and the immediate impact was made by Jason Short who made a huge tackle bust taking him to within five metres of the Haydock line.

A short pass to Hall was all that was needed to extend the Atoms’ lead.

The kick off was collected by the Atoms’ most dangerous runner in the form of Michael Forrest, he found the gap and made it two Atoms tries in as many minutes to make it 28-8.

A period of sustained pressure from the Warriors brought them two scores, one from a kick and one from stretching the Atoms defenders one way and then the other.

At 28 -16 and the St Helens side fully on the attack man of the match Mark Walker came up with a piece of defensive brilliance, holding an attacker up over the Atoms’ try line preventing him from grounding the ball.

This piece of impressive play switched the momentum back to the Atoms and from here on they forged ahead and took the game away from the St Helens team.

Dan Ginnochio rounded off a very muscular drive with his first try of the season.

A well executed planned move brought Matty Short a try, then Stuart Lacey rounded off the scoring with a try that he converted himself.