Salford City 2-2 Lancaster City

LANCASTER City produced a spirited comeback to come from two goals behind to draw 2-2 at Salford City on Saturday.

Two goals from Steve Foster, the second from the spot had given Rhodri Giggs’ side a two-goal lead, before a Michael Hall goal five minutes before the break and a last-minute equaliser from Mike Rushton gave City a share of the points.

It was Salford who had the first opening, Simon Woodford heading wide of Martin Fearon’s right-hand post from an Adam Morning free-kick on the quarter hour.

City then had a chance of their own, but home ‘keeper Andy Robertson saved easily from a tame Max Rothwell effort after good work from Dave Swarbrick.

But it was Salford who then went ahead, poor defending allowed player-manager Giggs time in the penalty area to feed Foster who slid the ball into the net.

Foster nearly added to his tally on the half hour but headed over from a right-wing Giggs cross.

The home side did double their lead however just five minutes later.

Fearon made a hash of a clearing from the edge of his area and he appeared to trip Foster as the forward tried to take advantage.

The City keeper recieved a yellow card and Foster picked himself up and converted from the penalty spot.


City hit back quickly however, Michael Hall was on hand to halve the defecit after Robertson had parried a Dave Swarbrick shot five minutes before the break.

Giggs nearly restored the home side’s lead just before half-time however, firing a 25-yard free-kick just wide.

City came out for the second half well, and had the better chances early in the second half.

Substitute Liam Wynn’s lob went just over Robertson’s bar and Rob Wilson brought a good save from the Salford keeper from a free-kick just before the hour mark.

It was big defender Jack Duggan who came closest however, his header from a corner being cleared off the line by Russell Headley.

As City pushed for an equaliser Salford nearly made the points safe seven minutes from time.

Adam Morning stole possession from Mike Rushton in the City box and squared for Foster whose shot was well blocked.

City’s equaliser eventually came in the 95th minute.

The Salford defence failed to clear a Rob Wilson free-kick and the ball fell to Rushton who couldn’t miss from a yard out and nodded home to give City a point, meaning they are now unbeaten in four games in all competitions

The Dolly Blues were due to host Curzon Ashton yesterday, Tuesday, March 8.

Salford City: Robertson, Woodford, Hockenhull, Cross, Ayres, Goodeve, Headley, Andrews (capt), Giggs, Foster, Morning

Lancaster City: Fearon, Henry, Nightingale, Duggan, Marshall (capt), R Wilson, Rushton, Rothwell, Swarbrick, Hall, McKenna

Attendance: 117