Bentley disappointed by call-off

Morecambe boss Jim Bentley was philosophical after watching their Easter Monday game against Cambridge United postponed.
Jim Bentley.Jim Bentley.
Jim Bentley.

The match at the Globe Arena fell foul of the wet weather, which saw five other games called off yesterday.

Late morning rainfall and the forecast of further heavy rain throughout the day meant the match was called off at lunchtime.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“There would have been a few more on the gate with it being Easter Monday and we were looking forward to it,” Bentley said.

“I’m disappointed the game was called off because we are in good form – but the same thing happened with the Chesterfield game and it’s one of those things.”

Bentley’s players were due to go into the game, looking to follow up Good Friday’s draw at Swindon Town which had extended their unbeaten run to five matches in League Two.

An announcement regarding a rescheduled date and ticketing arrangements is pending, though there is a lack of available midweek dates between now and the end of the season.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Next Tuesday brings Chesterfield to the Globe Arena for the first of consecutive home games with Carlisle the visitors on April 14. April 17 would be the first free midweek but, as Bentley explained, it would not be his preferred 

“We’re hoping to have the game played on the 24th,” he admitted.

“It’s either that date or the 17th really as we don’t really want one between the Barnet and Coventry games in the final week.

“If it’s got to be either of those dates than I’d prefer the 24th because, otherwise, it’d mean three home games in a week and I’m not sure the pitch would be able to take that.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

*Morecambe have apologised for a social media post uploaded on Monday morning saying the game against Cambridge would definitely take place.

A Twitter post, released at 11am, said: “Contrary to the rumor (sic) mill, there won’t be a pitch inspection and we are game on for today!”

However, another post was uploaded an hour and 40 minutes later, confirming that the match was off.

A club statement explained: “The message was constructed by a member of staff with the best intentions but we realise this was an error and we would like to apologise to all Morecambe and Cambridge United supporters for any inconvenience this may have caused.

“At 11am there were no problems with the pitch; it was only after a heavy downpour from noon onwards that the pitch became unplayable and the referee called the game off.”