Burnley and Pendle 38-30 Heysham Atoms '˜A'

Heysham Atoms '˜A' had their second outing of the season away at Burnley and Pendle and were involved in an entertaining 38-30 defeat.

Monday, 23rd May 2016, 9:07 am
Updated Monday, 23rd May 2016, 11:11 am
Ollie Murray.

Both halves of rugby ran to very similar themes with the bigger, more physical Burnley side taking control of the early parts then the more youthful, enthusiastic Atoms coming on strong as the Burnley began to tire.

Olly Murray got the opening score on their first attack, going over by the left corner flag but this promising opening was short lived as Burnley took control hitting hard up the middle channel and taking a 24-4 lead.

A try just before the break by Curtis Lacey gave the Atoms hope as he dummied his way over the line again down the favoured left to make it 24-10 at the break.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The initiative was again taken up by the Burnley side at the beginning of the second period as they scored two early tries and pulled away again on the scoreboard. However, the Atoms side refused to go down without a fight.

Matty Short benefited from backing up close to the posts, taking a neat Helme pass out of the tackle and scoring the Atoms’ third try of this end to end game.

Helme the provider then became the scorer, splitting the markers and twisting his way out of the tackle to score.

Lawton at full back then took a sharp pass from Short, scoring to the right of the posts and bringing the Atoms to within 10 points at 34-24.

Curtis Lacey scored his second of the afternoon, bashing his way over through the middle of the ruck after a great run from Murray.

The Atoms cranked up the pressure and put everything they had left in the tank into finding the next score but they couldn’t quite manage it and Burnley finished off the scoring with one minute remaining, kicking to their winger out on the left edge.

The Portrait Pools Man of The Match award went to Olly Murray.