Hockey: Conway gives Lancaster lead but Newcastle hit back to earn draw

In their first game back after Christmas, Lancaster 1s lost 2-1 at home to a strong Newcastle team on Saturday.

Thursday, 16th January 2020, 10:04 am
Nicola Conway.

Newcastle had the better chances early on but Hayley Standeven-Johns saved off the line and some more last ditch defending from Helen Trotter and Nina Helme kept it goalless.

After 20 minutes it was Lancaster who found the breakthrough when Josie Rice found Nicola Conway on the left, and her first time strike flew into the top corner.

After going behind, Newcastle came out quickly and were passing the ball well and dragging Lancaster out of position.

They equalised just before half-time when they worked the ball well into the D but it needed a slight deflection to take it past goalkeeper Leighan Bleasdale.

Into the second half and Newcastle pressed high, pushing Lancaster deeper into their own half.

Lancaster were struggling to connect their passes and Newcastle were penning them in, but Lancaster kept working and tackling hard to keep the ball out.

With 10 minutes to go Newcastle found the net with a fantastic strike into the top corner from a penalty corner.

Lancaster didn’t let their heads drop but they were struggling to create any opportunities and Newcastle defended well.

Ali Standeven-Johns worked her way into the D but couldn’t get enough purchase on the ball and the keeper saved well.

With only two minutes to go Lancaster won a penalty corner and pushed everyone up looking for the equaliser, but they couldn’t manage to convert and Newcastle took all three points.

Meanwhile, Lancaster 2s travelled to Nelson to take on Pendle Forest 2s, and they came away with a 1-1 draw.

Lancaster started the game brightly with Lauren Allwood, Beth Davey and Isla Tomlinson making surging runs forward.

Pendle soon found their feet and earned a number of short corners.

Lancaster went down to 10 players through injury 15 minutes into the first half but this didn’t faze them as the whole team fought back to keep Pendle out.

Back to 11 for the second half Lancaster started strong with Ailsa McKirdy making some great solo runs forward releasing the Lancaster attack.

Pendle scored five minutes into the second half, Lancaster saved their initial wave but they found a way through eventually and the ball found the back of the net.

Lancaster pushed for an equaliser – Emma Wood controlled the midfield professionally which saw Lancaster make a surging run into the D which hit a Pendle foot, earning Lancaster a penalty corner.

A well practiced routine saw the ball passed to Katy Lindsay who was waiting as left slip and she calmly slapped the ball home.

With five minutes to go Pendle earned a short corner which saw goalkeeper Rebecca Halliwell make a lunging save to her left to deflect the ball outside the post and keep the scores level.