Back in time: When Morecambe braved the Wolves' attack for cup success

Ryan Williams scores the only goal as Morecambe saw off WolvesRyan Williams scores the only goal as Morecambe saw off Wolves
Ryan Williams scores the only goal as Morecambe saw off Wolves
With the League Two season officially declared over and all local sport in lockdown, we’re taking a trip back into the archives to look at some past Morecambe matches.

This week, we’re heading back to August 2013 when the Shrimps claimed Capital One Cup victory against Wolves.

This was how ADAM LORD described the action that night...

A stunning Ryan Williams free-kick five minutes from time handed Morecambe a famous win over Wolves.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The midfielder’s trademark 25-yard strike proved to be decisive as the Shrimps caused a huge upset in the Capital One Cup first round against a side who were in the Premier League only two seasons ago.

It was a goal fit to win any game in front of the Sky cameras and meant Jim Bentley’s side kept up their unbeaten record against Wolves, having knocked them out of the same competition back in 2007.

The game started at a frantic pace, Stewart Drummond testing Carl Ikeme with a low drive from 22 yards inside the opening minute before Tony Diagne burst down the left only to see his whipped cross narrowly evade Padraig Amond at the far post.

Wolves however soon settled and Jake Cassidy came close to giving them the lead, flicking an Anthony Forde centre narrowly wide from six yards out.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It was end-to-end stuff though and Drummond came close again on the quarter-hour, his deft header from Amond’s centre just going the wrong side of the post.

After a fast start the game calmed but both sides still threatened, Williams scuffing a left-foot shot wide from the edge of the area on the half-hour.

Bathed in the setting sun, the game continued to entertain, Wolves firing in a warning on the stroke of half-time, Matt Doherty exchanging a neat one-two with Forde before seeing his misdirected cross-cum-shot from the byline hit the post.

The visitors then hit the post a further two times in as many minutes shortly after the break.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Leigh Griffiths should have arguably put them ahead when he headed Zele Ismail’s deep cross against the post from close range before Ismail, again cutting in from the right, hit the crossbar with Barry Roche well beaten.

The Shrimps kept coming however, Wolves being forced to scramble clear on 55 minutes when a Williams free-kick hit Ikeme and bounced into the six-yard area.

Jim Bentley’s side then forced a series of corners and put the League One title favourites under sustained pressure, Amond’s cross on the hour mark going agonisingly across the face of goal.

Moments later, Andy Fleming saw a low, left-foot drive from the edge of the area go inches wide of Ikeme’s right-hand post.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Wolves still threatened however. Roche getting down well to parry a dipping Forde volley from distance 20 minutes from time.

The Irish Under-21s international was arguably the visitors’ best player and he again tested Roche from outside the area on 80 minutes, but the Shrimps No.1 saved well with his legs.

But it was the Shrimps who were to decisively get their noses in front with five minutes to play.

After Fleming was fouled 25 yards from goal, Williams stepped up and got his free-kick up and over the wall and beyond the outstretched right hand of Ikeme to send the Globe Arena into raptures.

Despite a nervous final few minutes the Shrimps held on to cause a huge upset.