Morecambe claim first wins of season against Fulwood & Broughton and Garstang

Morecambe made the short journey up the M6 to face Fulwood and Broughton on a cracking Saturday afternoon in the sun in front of a bumper crowd with the Fulwood beer festival in full flow.

Tuesday, 8th May 2018, 10:11 am
Updated Tuesday, 8th May 2018, 11:16 am
Jamie Heywood. Picture: Tony North.

With both teams looking for their first win of the season it was an important game with Morecambe knowing that a successful weekend on the pitch could kick start their stuttering season.

Morecambe captain Ryan Pearson lost the toss and was asked to bat, although bowling first was what both captains wanted to do, it gave Morecambe’s batters a chance to prove a point after three poor efforts so far this season.

This looked in danger of continuing when Mark Woodhead was caught at mid-off from the fifth ball of the game which brought Morecambe professional Luke Jongwe (89) to the crease who alongside opener Sam Cooper (16) began to rebuild the

With the pair pushing the score up to the 50 mark it was Cooper who was to be the man out with the score at 49-2 as he tried to work one into the leg side but got a leading edge back to opening bowler Brookes (2-30.

Jamie Heywood (50) joined Jongwe at the crease and this was the game changing partnership that put Morecambe in control of the game with them putting on 115.

Once Jongwe was out Morecambe lost a few quick wickets whilst trying to push the score to 200, eventually Morecambe reached 193-8 off their 50 overs.

Tommy Clough (4-25) opened the bowling alongside Jongwe (0-28) who is still getting to grips with the bowling in these conditions.

Clough continually built pressure throughout the innings and the capture of professional Simon Kerrigan (26) before drinks signalled the end of Fulwood’s attempts to win the game and was the time for Morecambe to squeeze and get all 10 wickets for the first 15 points of the season.

Danny Edwards (5-34) bowled superbly and was a threat to both edges and Morecambe were patient in waiting for the wickets to fall with five coming in the last seven overs for a fully deserved win and 15 points.

lMorecambe travelled to Garstang for their first T20 game of the season in the later starting slot on the day after Fulwood had beaten Garstang in the first game of the day.

Once again Morecambe captain Pearson lost the toss but his team were this time asked to bowl.

Garstang’s innings consisted of partnerships worth 20 to 30 runs in part to the erratic display of bowling in the first 10 overs with extras (28) being Garstang’s top scorer.

Garstang were 90-3 and in a good position with both Walling brothers out and Wells before Morecambe turned the screw with some good bowling and fielding to restrict Garstang to 129-8 when 160 looked likely at the 10 over mark.

With Edwards the main wicket taker with 3-28 and every bowler on the day with a wicket, young seam bowler Louis Backhouse took his first 1st XI wicket with his second ball, dismissing Mark Walling and sending his middle stump flying.

Morecambe’s reply got off to a shaky start with Smith (0), Briggs (2) and Saturday’s run scorer Heywood (0) back in the shed with the score at 17-3 which left Jongwe (54) and captain Pearson (57no) to begin the recovery process and attempt to put Morecambe in a position to win the game.

Both rotated the strike throughout the innings and punished the bad balls when given the opportunity.

Slowly, Morecambe got themselves into a position to win the game and after a partnership of 92, which proved to be match winning, Jongwe was caught superbly at point by Gilbert in what could have proved to be a turning point in the game.

Edwards with a quick fire six came and went before Luke Pearson joined his brother at the crease which led to the pair leading Morecambe to victory with captain Pearson hitting the winning two runs off the final ball of the