Wrathall forced into retirement at Croft

editorial image

AFTER suffering a disappointing weekend at the last round of the BTCC Frank Wrathall and Team Dynojet were determined to bounce back for Round five of the championship at the North Yorkshire Croft circuit.

Wrathall qualified an impressive fourth place with a lap time of 1m 25.156s just 0.256 seconds away from pole position.

Unusually for Wrathall he did not get a particularly good start in race one and lost several places on the way into the notoriously tight first few corners.

Unfortunately he was then forced wide and onto the grass. Just about able to keep control of the car he was able to get back onto the track but rejoined down in fifteenth place.

Shortly afterwards the safety car came out to allow the marshals to recover three cars stranded on the main strait after an accident at the start.

Once the safety car came in, Wrathall was determined to recover as many places as possible to try and get as many championship points as he could.

Within a handful of laps he had managed to fight his way back up to tenth place but disaster struck and he was forced to pull the car over on lap fourteen and retire from the race leaving him to start from nineteenth place for race two.

Not to be put off by starting from the back of the grid for the second race of the day Wrathall went on the attack right from the start and was in thirteenth place by the end of the first lap.

As the race played out he was able to once again keep the more experienced Jason Plato behind him gaining places as others ahead crashed out or retired.

Plato was eventually able to force his way past on lap nine by which time Wrathall had climbed up to eighth position.

Now under pressure from Plato’s team mate Andy Neat Wrathall was able to hold his place and finished eighth, scoring eight championship points.

Selected to start from third place for the final race of the day Wrathall was in a good position to score more valuable points.

Wrathall lost a place to Tom Onslow-Cole at the start but was able to retake the place a lap later when Onslow-Cole ran wide coming out of the first corner.

Shortly afterwards the safety car was forced to come out after contact between Liam griffin and Lea Wood. The Ford Focus of Liam Griffin had hit the barrier at church corner and caught fire.

The marshals rushed into action working to quickly extinguishing the flames and extract both drivers.

However, a lot of laps were lost behind the safety car.

The race was able to resume on lap eleven and Wrathall was immediately passed by his now familiar opponent Jason Plato and things went from bad to worse as Wrathall and several others slid off on oil left by Griffin and Wood’s accident.

He was able to keep the car out of the barrier but rejoined in fifteenth place.

With only a few laps remaining in the race there was not enough time left to recover any places and he finished in fifteenth place.

Wrathall now stands in ninth place in the championship with 80 points.

Davai Goosey