Wilmslow 15-43 Kirkby Lonsdale

Rugby Union.
Rugby Union.
Share this article

Kirkby Lonsdale moved up to third in North One West with a commanding six-try win at Wilmslow on Saturday.

Two from centre Tom Pickthall and one each from his centre partner Jack Akrigg, scrum half Ben Walker, stand off Dave Barton and full back Ryan Terry extended the
Underley Park side’s winning run to five games,

The opening score came when Barton charged down a clearance in the Wilmslow twenty-two.

The ball fell for Akrigg who shrugged off one tackle and then dumped the last defender on his backside with a mighty hand off and cantered in under the posts, Terry tapping over the conversion with only four minutes on the clock. Wilmslow replied with a penalty to make it 7-3 but the opening exchanges were in Kirkby’s favour and it was Barton again in the action when he ran at the hosts from 30 metres out.

All attempts to stop him failed, one way or another, and his powerful jinking run ended just to the right of the posts with a brilliant try converted by Terry to make it 14-3.

The visitors were controversially reduced to 14 men when Walker was shown a yellow card but Wilmslow didn’t profit from the 10-minute 

Once restored to 15 Kirkby were back in the ascendancy, a long-range penalty from Terry was wide before the full back himself touched down wide on the right on the half hour.

Things got worse for the hosts soon after, Barton drawing the last defender before passing inside to Pickthall who scored the fourth and bonus point try between the posts which Terry converted.

There was just enough time in the half for the hosts to register a try through Ollie McCall to make it 26-8 at the break.

The game was more even in the second half but Wilmslow’s hopes of a comeback were dealt a blow when Walker scored a converted try to extend their lead. The Cheshire side hit back with a converted score of their own to make it 33-15 and sparked a period of pressure deep in Kirkby pressure.

But it yielded no points with Pickthall soon adding his second and Kirkby’s sixth try to end the game as contest.

There was enough time for Terry to complete the rout with a penalty in the last kick of the game.