Westmorland Cricket League: Shireshead do double in league and cup over Sedgwick

Shirehead batsman Paul Yates. Picture: Tony North
Shirehead batsman Paul Yates. Picture: Tony North

Shireshead & Forton recorded two wins in two days at home to Sedgwick at the weekend.

On Saturday they were 92-run winners to cement their place at the top of the Westmorland Cricket League Division One before a five-wicket win on Sunday saw them move into the semi-final of the Hackney and Leigh Trophy.

In the first meeting, the hosts won the toss and batted first, Paul Yates and Liam Parkinson (20) adding 32 for the first wicket before Peter Wilson and Simon Gould (23) played attractive cameos.

It was Danny Wilkinson (43) however who was the mainstay of the innings as he began patiently before accelerating with his customary power.

Sam Hilton also struck the ball well before the innings subsided a little to 168 all out. Simon Willacy (4-43) and J Matthews (4-58) were the pick of the bowlers.

In reply, James Rafferty (3-42) and Wilkinson (2-18) then both picked up wickets in their first overs as the Sedgwick reply began hesitantly.

Rafferty bowled with hostility and Wilkinson with good control, but very little luck, until M Bracken and Adam Hornby (24) were dismissed in consecutive balls.

Uzair Shah (2-7) and Wilson (3-6) then took up the baton and provided no relief for the batsmen as Sedgwick were hustled out for 76 in the 30th over.

The following day, Sedgwick had no hesitation in deciding to bat first upon winning the toss, but then lost the dangerous Hornby to the bowling of Rafferty first ball of the innings.

J Portman (23), in the company of M Robinson and J Dalzell, kept the scoreboard ticking along until the innings stood at 73-2 just after the halfway point.

Shah (3-15) continued his fine run of form with the ball to stall the Sedgwick innings, but an unbroken stand of 40 between M Bracken and C Evans (28 not out) gave the innings some late impetus as the visitors finished on 146-7 from their 25 eight-ball overs.

The Shireshead reply began with a bang as Phil Oliver (28 from 12 balls) launched the ball to all parts of Clifton Park.

Two quick wickets left the score at 35-2 however, and when Simon Gould departed as well Shireshead still required 84 for victory.

Yates (26) and Wilkinson (32) patiently added 62 for the fourth wicket to calm any nerves before Peter Wilson (19 not out) ended the game in a flurry of boundaries as Shireshead finished on 149-5.