Vale 48-27 Broughton Park

AFTER two North One West defeats, it was important for the Vale to get back to winning ways but they did raise a few eyebrows with their imaginative three-quarter line-up.

Jimmy Moore moved onto the left wing with his place being taken by Fergus Owens and Adam Macluskie partnering Ian Bird in the centre.

The Vale opened the scoring in the fourth minute when Neale Foster began running from full back, Ian Bird and James Hodder exchanged passes, before Bird, with a brilliant pass, sent Foster sprinting away for a try which he converted.

Owens had cut loose prior to Foster kicking an eighth minute penalty goal to increase Vale’s score.

Broughton Park brought the Vale down to earth with an eleventh minute penalty, kicked by centre Ben Cromey.

Spurred on by their score, Park’s forwards began to play keep ball. Their downfall came when the ball was released to the backs.

Moore intercepted an unconvincing pass to race seventy five metres for a try that ended with a stylish touch down, Foster converting in the sixteenth minute.

Vale’s backs always looked dangerous when they received quick ball as was illustrated when Foster broke from just outside his 22 to link with Bird, but the centre’s pass had just floated forward when Hodder received it.

The half ended on a high for the Vale when Foster collected his second try with a jinking run against a retreating defence.

At the beginning of the second half the Vale were caught napping when the failed to contain a forward rumble from Park which ended with wing forward Tom Harrison touching down for an unconverted try.

Vale’s bonus point try came following a classy move performed with whiplash precision. Darren Wilson moved the ball quickly from the base of a ruck, Owens pushed a perfectly weighted pass into the hands of Luke Ford who rocketed through a huge gap unopposed, Foster converted from in front in the fiftieth minute.

Moore added to his total in the fifty third minute when he scored in the left hand corner following positive running from Owens, Macluskie, Bird and Foster, who nonchalantly juggled with the ball, before passing to Moore for an unconverted try.

A 34-8 lead was quickly reduced when Park spiritedly pushed the Vale back scoring two tries in three minutes. Harrison forced his way over from a quick tap, Cromey converting, and full back Warren Duffy went over in the corner after a break from stand off Kit Brammer.

As the game moved into the closing ten minutes the Vale’s backs produced another passage of self-assured passing.

Bird and Foster were again in the mix in a move that culminated with Owens slipping effortlessly between the posts, Foster again converting.

Five minutes later, Wilson, who had been rather quiet by his own standards, suddenly exploded 70 metres from Park’s goal line.

He quickly outpaced the cover, twisted a lone defender inside and out before touching down for his try converted by Foster.

Park’s bonus point came following another quickly -taken tap penalty, their hard-working hooker, James Wilde scoring a deserved try converted by Cromey via an upright.

The game ended with Vale’s number eight Gareth Tudor charging down field, and Bird being halted in the corner after Moore and Wilson had opened up the defence, as the Vale registed their highest point victory over Broughton Park for 11 seasons.

Vale of Lune: N Foster; J Hodder (A Richards 50), A Macluskie, I Bird (Capt), J Moore; F Owens, D Wilson; J Hesketh (A Morrison 40), P Watson, M Hanson; L Acton, L Ford; S Wallbank, A Garnett (D Perry 50), G Tudor.

Match Sponsors: R G Parkins and Partners Limited.

Match Ball Sponsor: Border Asset Management.