Vale 29-39 Kendal

Jonty Higgin on his scoring run.
Jonty Higgin on his scoring run.

Following a fierce encounter at Powder House Lane on Saturday Kendal made the short journey back to base with maximum points.

Kendal’s first concerted forward thrust ended with a penalty as the Vale scrambled, stand off Chris Park thumped the ball over from forty five metres in the sixth minute.

Six minutes later Park kicked a second penalty and there was no respite for the Vale’s forwards as in the twentieth minute the Kendal pack set up a try for Park which he converted after a ferocious food processor moment close to Vale’s goal line.

In the twenty fourth minute Kendal snaffled the ball off a hypnotised Vale defence, centre Dan Lowther settled the issue with an unconverted try.

The inspirational number eight, Robin Quarry, was held up short in the build up to the final try of the half. The Vale were penalised, Kendal opted for a scrum, Vale went down in a heap and referee Turvey sprinted between the posts to award a penalty try which Park converted.

Within two minutes of the restart Vale collected their first points.

Skipper David Haigh charged down the kick off, hacked the ball on, and Fraser Spavin chased the ball down for a try converted by Jack Turton.

Kendal responded instantly with a bonus point try scored by lock Liam Hayton, converted by Park in the forty fifth minute.

To their credit the Vale rebounded two minutes later with a try after Nick Royle had raced through the Kendal cover before unselfishly passing to Rob Ward who touched down for an unconverted try.

Vale’s stock rose even higher when Jonty Higgin looped round after a passage of polished crossfield passing, Turton converted and for the first time in the game Kendal began to look vulnerable.

Turton added to their unease when he set off a well balanced sixty metre solo run that increased in tempo with every stride which ended in a try which he converted.

The Vale narrowed the gap to three points when Turton efficiently kicked a sixty fifth minute penalty.

In the sixty eighth minute the comeback dream was shattered though as Kendal had harnessed their resources to move deep into Vale’s half.

A series of penalties which were angled into touch took them ever closer to the red zone, Lee Acton was shown a yellow card and from the next five metre line out Hayton was propelled over for a second try converted by Park.

In the closing ten minutes the Vale tried in vain to open up the Kendal defence but the visitors marshalled their forces, each and every player accepted the responsibility in securing a victory that took them into fourth place and dropped the Vale down to seventh in North One West.