Vale 29-27 Wilmslow

On a wet, windy afternoon at Powder House Lane a sparse crowd saw the Vale of Lune win their first league game since November 23.

Wilmslow had first use of the elements watched by huddles of dedicated supporters and within the opening minute had posted their opening score.

True determination from Jonty Higgin.'Vale v Wilmslow.

True determination from Jonty Higgin.'Vale v Wilmslow.

While the Vale swayed in the wind, centre Sam Cutts cut a swathe through the Vale’s defence for an uncomplicated try, converted by Bob MacCallum before two minutes had elapsed.

Four minutes later the Vale received another buffeting when MacCallum lashed over a penalty goal.

Worse was to follow for the Vale when flanker Josh Whitely squeezed his way through a gap for an unconverted try in the tenth minute.

Fifteen points down the Vale looked in danger of going under but as the first quarter drew to a close the Vale began a dramatic comeback and rescue operation.

A break out by James Curran, who raced confidently over the gluepot after a kick ahead heralded the Vale’s revival, but it came at a cost because back row forward Alex Baines suffered an injury when his kneecap not only popped out but went back again.

In the 26th minute a swift exchange of passes created space on the right which was food and drink for Nick Royle who trimmed his sails to streak away from the fleet for his first try converted by Jack Turton.

With the Vale tacking deep into Wilmslow waters Turton kicked a penalty in the 36th minute and when the visitors had a player sent for a ten minute spell in the brig, Royle crossed the equator for a second try in the 40th minute.

After only three minutes of the second forty Curran exploited an overlap on the right for an excellently constructed score, which was not converted.

Running before the wind, quick passing, neat footwork were featured in the build up for Royle’s third try which Turton converted from wide out on the left in the 45th minute.

Hooker Phil Berry, in his fiftieth game, was shown a yellow card in the 71st minute and a minute later from a five metre line out set up an unconverted try for replacement forward, Adam Taher.

In the second minute of injury time Wilmslow collected their fourth try for a bonus point and subsequently a losing bonus point.

Vale were forced to carry over from an untidy line out and concede a five metre scrum.

Wilmslow drove the Vale over their line and number eight Harrison James went over for try converted by Lawrence James.

Time was called immediately the kick sailed over to end another intriguing game.