Slideshow: Wilmslow 21-21 Vale

Share this article

Vale of Lune burst into life against Wilmslow at The Memorial Ground on Saturday.

Vale made a positive start and in the ninth minute Jack Turton made amends for an early miss by slotting over a penalty goal.

Nick Royle sprints to score.

Nick Royle sprints to score.

Prior to scoring his first try Nick Royle pulled off an important tackle in the twenty second minute in a game that ebbed and flowed.

David Haigh collected the ball just outside his twenty two and set off on a well balanced muscular run that took him through the heart of Wilmslow’s defence, his perfectly weighted pass sent Royle sprinting away for an unconverted try in the twenty fourth minute.

Eight minutes later after Rob Ward had surged deep into Wilmslow territory, the Vale were awarded a penalty which was kicked by Turton.

As the half drew to a close there was a flurry of points scoring. Wilmslow’s stand off, Bob MacCallum kicked a thirty fifth minute penalty goal, followed by a crisply struck three pointer from Turton.

In the final move of the half Wilmslow’s centre, Sam Cutts, with a man outside him as a decoy, cut a swathe rather too easily for comfort, through the Vale’s defence for an unconverted try.

Five minutes into the second half Vale had Fraser Spavin despatched to the sin bin and from the penalty the lock had conceded MacCallum extracted full revenge with a second penalty.

Back to full strength Haigh celebrated Spavin’s return with another dancing run before the Vale increased their lead in the sixty first minute.

Royle instigated the move in which James Curran and Turton played important roles before the full back raced away for a try which Turton converted.

Wilmslow came back into contention almost immediately when the forwards gave the Vale some serious mortar and pestle treatment close to their goal line that ended with Simeon Meek going over from close range for an unconverted try.

In the seventieth minute Turton hit an upright with a penalty kick with the ball bouncing away to safety, shortly after Olly Carter was shown a yellow card as the game began to tilt into Wilmslow’s favour.

The scores were levelled in the seventy fifth minute when a stretched Vale defence was unable to prevent an overlap being created on the right.

Winger Lawrence James touched down for an unconverted try to set up a frantic final few minutes for the Vale who were trapped in their twenty two, but with Darren Wilson, who had come on as a replacement, directing operations, the Vale showed tremendous character and discipline to ensure they did not return empty handed from their sortie into Cheshire.