Slideshow: Vale 46-31 Kirkby Lonsdale

Share this article

Vale and Kirkby Lonsdale produced a twelve try thrilling extravaganza at Powder House Lane on Saturday.

A penalty kick from Kirkby Lonsdale’s prop, David Armistead, thumped against an upright in the third minute and acted as a wake up call for the home side who took the lead in the sixth minute.

Oli Carter is up ended by Kirkby Lonsdale on Saturday.

Oli Carter is up ended by Kirkby Lonsdale on Saturday.

Nick Royle completed a crisp handling move with a looping run for an unconverted try wide on the left.

Seven minutes later Royle cut back inside with a searing run for his second which was converted by Jack Turton.

In the eighteenth minute Kirkby’s David Barton burst through for a try converted by Armistead and a minute later the number ten charged down a kick before slipping the ball inside to Sam Latu for a try converted by Armistead again to give the Cumbrians the lead.

The Vale regained the lead in the twenty first minute when Royle and Oli Carter combined to create space for winger Rob Ward to cross the line at speed, his try being converted by Turton.

When Kirkby had a player sent to the sin bin the Vale took full advantage from a solid scrum in the opposition’s twenty two.

Wilson picked up the base, Gareth Tudor peeled away and in a text book blind side move went over for an unconverted try which brought up the bonus point.

With a minute of proper time remaining James Curran popped up on his opposite wing and outside the centres to barrel his way unceremoniously through for an unconverted try.

Leading 29-14 the Vale appeared to be in the box seat but in the fifty third minute they were breached when centre Jack Akrigg took full advantage of some wet lettuce type tackling with a statement of intent and a try, converted by Armistead.

The home side pragmatically opted for a penalty kick at goal which Carter put over in the fifty seventh minute to give his side a lead of eleven points.

Royle completed his hat-trick when he cut back inside after a the ball had been shipped wide at speed by the threequarters, Carter added the conversion but Kirkby were far from out of the game as their try in the sixty seventh minute illustrated.

Curran was then shown a yellow card before Barton grabbed the ball took a tap and dashed over for an unconverted try.

The Vale responded by sweeping downfield from the restart to post their final score as Turton gracefully dived over for his try converted Carter from in front.

In the seventy fourth minute Barton set off on a solo run that resulted in a deserved hat-trick that completed the scoring in a contest that had both sets of supporters setting their sights on the return game at Underley Park in February.