SLIDESHOW: Captain Hill leads from front as Westgate seal Twenty20 triumph

Westgate Cricket Club lifted the Beaumont Bygones Twenty20 Cup after an action-packed day in front of a big crowd at Carnforth Cricket Club.

Andy Hill’s side were five-wicket winners over Windermere in their semi-final before a six-run win over defending champions Shireshead in the final on Sunday evening.

Westgate Cricket Club - winners of the 2014 Beaumont Bygones Twenty20 Cup.

Westgate Cricket Club - winners of the 2014 Beaumont Bygones Twenty20 Cup.

The skipper led from the front in the final, scoring 43 in a partnership of 81 with Aaron Pearce (40) before Uzair Shah (3-21) removed the captain and eventual man of the match.

A further 77 were then added in the final 10 overs as Westgate posted a competitive 158-4.

Hill knew his side would have to field and bowl well and that they did just that as Shireshead fell from 23-1 to a nearly terminal 42-6.

Captain Paul Yates and Dave Jack started to restore belief however and steadily chipped away getting the total to 118 at the end of the 16th over.

With 41 needed from the final four overs it was anyone’s game with Shireshead and particularly Jack in the ascendancy.

However Craig Buchanan made the vital breakthrough for Westgate as he removed Jack for 66 with the second ball of the 17th over.

It was now all about whether skipper Yates could rotate the strike to get his side home and two good overs left 18 needed from the last two overs.

Buchanan struck again however and with three just coming from the 19th Shireshead ended a fine contest six short as Hill’s man of the match performance saw him lift the trophy.

In the first semi-final Shireshead got off to a flying start to the defence of their title and really put their stamp on the day posting 187, with Phil Oliver blasting 61 from 27 balls before Peter Wilson dominated the second half of the innings, finishing on 55 not out.

In reply Warton were up with the run rate at 90-1 at the half way point before they lost Ryan Nelson (41) and Stuart Mayor (35) in the space of four balls and the incoming batsmen couldn’t keep up the momentum as they fell 41 runs short, finishing on 146-8.

Westgate then booked their place in the final as they first restricted Windermere to 125-9 as wickets fell at regular intervals before knocking off the runs for the loss of five wickets off the fourth ball of the 19th over.