Purse bids called for Tyson Fury’s world title fight with Wladimir Klitschko

Tyson Fury. Picture: Tim Goode/PA Wire
Tyson Fury. Picture: Tim Goode/PA Wire

Conformation of Tyson Fury’s world heavyweight title fight looks closer than ever.

The team behind the Morecambe-based giant have been locked in talks with heavyweight king Wladimir Klitschko’s representatives with the hope of staging the fight at a major stadium in England.

But with no deal done ahead of a proposed fight in September or October the World Boxing Association have called for purse bids on July 6, where those interested in staging the contest can bid for the right to host it.

An agreement can still be made before Monday but if it isn’t the likely split will see the WBA/IBF/WBO champion Klitchko receive 80 per cent of the purse with Fury, the Ukranian’s mandatory challenger, the remaining 20 per cent.