Kirkby Lonsdale 28-26 Warrington

Kirkby Lonsdale Rugby Club.
Kirkby Lonsdale Rugby Club.

Kirkby Lonsdale edged out Warrington in a thrilling North One West encounter at Underley Park on Saturday.

Kirkby made the first decisive move when Harry Ralston broke out of his own half only to be hauled down a couple of metres short in the left corner.

The home side kept up the pressure and Warrington yielded a kickable penalty in centre field. Kirkby however elected to use quick ball and stand off Dave Barton scored in the corner with only three minutes on the clock. The conversion fell just short.

Warrington tried to get into the game but were undone again in the 10th minute by another fast and powerful surge by Kirkby, skipper Matt Hughes finishing off the move with an unconverted try in the same right corner.

Two minutes later Ralston scored Kirkby’s third try, this one in the left corner, full back Ryan Terry was on target this time with the difficult conversion and the lead had stretched to 17–0.

Barton then crossed for his second try, the conversion going wide as Kirkby had secured a bonus point after just 17 minutes as they led 22–0.

It always going to hard to keep up the onslaught with Warrington pulling back two tries before the interval. A Terry penalty in between made it 25-14 at the end of the opening 40.

The game was well and truly on when the visitors scored first after the break with a conversion taking the score to 25-21.

Kirkby’s reaction was all out attack and they enjoyed long periods of pressure inside the visitors’ 22 as the sides went at it. The hosts crossed a couple of times but were deemed held up as the vital score just wouldn’t come.

Warrington were always dangerous on the counter and as the clock ran down the almost inevitable happened and the visitors scored an unconverted try to take the lead for the first time in the match, 26-25 with five to play.

But the visitors were soon caught offside in defence with Terry stepping up to take on the kick with two minutes left on the clock.

He calmly drilled the ball between the posts to put Kirkby in front at 28-26.

The game wasn’t quite done yet and Warrington hit back and they looked sure to score in the left corner but man and ball were taken into touch as the final whistle sounded.