Kirkby Lonsdale 23-12 Wigton

Kirkby Lonsdale senior colt Ryan Terry.
Kirkby Lonsdale senior colt Ryan Terry.

Kirkby Lonsdale senior colt Ryan Terry stepped up to the first team in style with two tries in his side’s victory over Wigton at Underley Park on Saturday.

The full back was a late replacement in a Kirkby side that was nearing full strength with the welcome return of captain Matt Hughes.

After a scoreless first half hour Tom Pickthall saw a long-range penalty attempt miss to the right on 35 minutes before the visitors went in front two minutes later.

Stand off David Hanabury took a well-timed inside pass which cut out the last Kirkby defender and he was in by the posts, converting his own try to put the visitors ahead 7-0 up.

The hosts were on the board before break however, Pickthall converting a penalty for a 7-3 half-time score.

The second half was an all together livelier affair, Kirkby edging ahead five minutes after the break when fly half Dave Barton completed a move he had started with a try by the corner flag. His conversion went just wide.

The stand off was becoming ever more influential and wasn’t to be denied his first kicking points for long, a sweetly struck drop goal from 30 yards out extending the lead to 11-7.

Home prop James Law was then shown a yellow card and Wigton were able to profit from the man advantage going over in the corner to go back in front.

Kirkby stood firm with 14 men however and went back in front in this pulsating game.

Terry burst onto a pass at pace on the half-way line and raced past the cover to score his debut first-team try, Pickthall adding the conversion to make it 18-12.

The visitors had chances to hit back but Kirkby weren’t to be denied and turned defence into attack to seal the victory, Barton flinging a long pass out to Terry with the young full back duly obliging with another classy try.

The conversion slid by but Kirkby move up to seventh with the win, halfway down North One West at the midpoint of the season.