First team triumph in Manchester

Ellie Walton, Lancaster seconds.
Ellie Walton, Lancaster seconds.
Share this article

Lancaster’s first team saw off second in the table Didsbury 4-1 on Saturday.

The city side made the trip to Manchester for the clash against another team promoted from division one last season and took the lead following a number of short corners - Grace Robertson placing the ball into the bottom corner after a good injection from Nina Klinge.

Straight after the restart, Ali Standeven made a great attacking play up the side line and a fed Julie Walker who managed to slot the ball home to make it 2-0.

It was 3-0 before half-time as Jayde Christeansen deflected the ball home from Nicola Benson’s shot.

The home side pulled a goal back in the second half but player of the match Klinge restored the three-goal cushion before time was up.

Lancaster seconds were victors by the same score at home to Lancaster University.

The home side went ahead when Izzy Marshall flicked a short corner into the back of the net.

Player of the match Marshall made it two before half-time after good work from Aveline Cruickshank and Claire Davies.

The Uni side pulled a goal back after the break, but two Beth Hay goals from short corners made sure of the victory.Lancaster’s fourth team tasted defeat however, losing 4-3 at home to Pendle Forest.

The under-strength fifth team also had an unsuccessful Saturday, losing 3-1 at Brookfield Ladies.

With just 10 players, the Lancaster side were soon 2-0 down.

Emma Wood pulled a goal back however after a short corner was injected by Eve Dodd but Brookfield restored their two-goal advantage before half-time and held on for the win.

Lancaster’s development team drew 0-0 with Wigton Ladies on Sunday, Katy Lindsay picking up the player of the match gong.

The under 16 side were 4-3 winners at Lytham St Annes.

Rebecca Airey opened the scoring for Lancaster but the home side soon levelled things up.

Faye Ledward’s well-worked goal put the visitors back in front but it was back all square at 2-2 at the break.

Lytham went ahead for the first time at the start of the second half but Ellie Dorrington equalised with five minutes to go.

The hosts looked dangerous but Airey scored her second on the break – driving forward and sweeping the winner beyond the ‘keeper.