Carnforth 72-5 Broughton

Captain Dan Blenkharn sprints clear with the ball. Picture: Tony North
Captain Dan Blenkharn sprints clear with the ball. Picture: Tony North

Carnforth claimed their biggest win of the season on Saturday against a gutsy and determined Broughton outfit.

The hosts were looking to take a stranglehold of the game early on and this they did when skipper Dan Blenkharn picked up at the base of the scrum and charged through for the opening try.

Minutes later and flanker Michael Walker was in support to grab the second with Mathew Short converting.

Short then turned provider with a strong run to allow his brother Jason to burst through for his first of the day.

Fifteen minutes in and the bonus try point was secured when Blenkharn powered through for his second 
try with Jack Edmondson adding the conversion.

On 20 minutes Brad Wheatman made the break to release Edmondson who powered in from half way with some excellent steps, his conversion giving Carnforth a 31-0 lead.

Well in command, Carnforth utilised their bench with Liam Hall, Graham Rich and Darren Winning taking their place on the pitch.

The forwards had an excellent day with Josh Wilson taking numerous strikes against the head, John Greenland making countless breaks and flanker Howard Neill in excellent form on his return from injury.

Edmondson grabbed his second try, also converted, with another excellent solo effort before the try of the match for Carnforth on the stroke of half time.

Prop Jason Waterhouse received the ball just inside his own half, he powered through two challenges before setting away on a superb run before outsprinting the defence to score a great try. Edmondson converted to give his side a 45-0 half time lead.

With the five points secured Carnforth were in no mood to let up.

Five minutes into the second half and a great break by Phil Metcalfe allowed Jason Short to twist and turn before scoring his second try, Mathew Short converting.

Blenkharn made another great run as he released Metcalfe to fly down the wing to score out wide.

Rich also made a couple of breaks on his return to the squad with one resulting inan offload to man of the match Kevin Hardy, the scrum half scoring in the corner.

Carnforth began to take their foot off the gas at 62-0 in front and had to do some real defending for the first time in the match.

They soon however cleared and Liam Hall powered through for a deserved score.

Broughton did not drop their heads and their reward came with an excellent solo try down the left wing.

The final score came from a break by Hardy who released Wheatman to surge down the wing to complete the scoring on an excellent day for Carnforth.