Altrincham Kersal 7-59 Vale

Darren Wilson puts the ball in to the scrum.
Darren Wilson puts the ball in to the scrum.

After recording their highest points total of the season the Vale of Lune have extended their unbeaten run in North One West to five games.

The home side were put on the rack at the first scrummage, they tried desperately to shore things up but the timbers buckled and bent.

Vale were unable to plough through the wreckage and in the fourth minute the referee had seen enough and he signalled a penalty try; as the Vale eight exchanged high fives, Oli Carter flipped over the conversion.

Straight from the kick off Matt Rogerson collected the ball deep in his own half and set off on a muscular run, scattering tacklers before linking with Nick Royle who immediately bolted over the line, his try being converted by Carter.

An acrobatic take at a line out that defied gravity by Danny Lin set in motion an attack that ended in Adam Macluskie being held up in the right hand corner on the 22nd minute but this attack produced another eruption of points.

Royle’s second try followed a neat incision down the blind side in the 24th minute.

Carter was unable to convert from wide out on the right but he added the extras when James Curran raced behind the posts four minutes later for the try bonus point.

The move was instigated by the elusive Rob Ward, whose finely balanced run allowed him to move effortlessly into Altrincham’s half, he slipped a pass to Curran, but the winger had plenty of work to carry out before crossing the line, he soon accelerated away for a quicksilver try.

In an extended half, James Hesketh was shown a yellow card and just before he could return to battle stations he was joined in the bin by Gareth Tudor, but even so the Vale continued to press.

Fifty five seconds into the second stanza Darren Wilson produced one of his signature tries, his first of the season, when he set off on a weaving solo run from 70 metres out as he bobbed and weaved his way over for an unconverted try.

Carter suffered from the curse of the yellow card in the 44th minute and even though the Vale shuffled their pack their momentum continued and on the hour they were awarded a second penalty try which Jonty Higgin converted with a drop kick.

Royle completed his hat-trick in the 72nd minute after another superb sequence of passes which Carter converted after serving his sentence. He also converted Lin’s try which followed five minutes later.

Altrincham became party poopers in the 79th minute when winger Tony O’Connor forced his way over, his try being converted by Dave Coleman, but the last word belonged to Royle as he chipped into the dead ball area to swoop on the ball, his try was converted by Carter with a measured kick from the right.