Mixed night for boxing stars

Liam Rogers with winners trophy.
Liam Rogers with winners trophy.

THERE were mixed results recently for two of Lancaster Boxing Academy’s fighters at the Regional Junior Golden Gloves finals in Manchester.

First up in the 57kg category was Reece McMillan, who was pitted against three times Junior Golden Gloves Champion Sahir Iqbal, who was representing Bury.

The first round started well for McMillan with his superior foot speed initially outfoxing his more rangy opponent, however the longer reach of the former champion kept McMillan at bay for long periods of the latter stages of the first.

The second started much in the same vein of the first with McMillan struggling to land with any serious blows and Iqbal appearing to land at will, although his punches did not have any hurting affect.

With McMillan trying to up the pace in the third he had some success as Iqbal took a good combination to both head and body. This however only shook Iqbal into action and he finished the round much the stronger.

When the score cards came in Iqbal had won by unanimous decision, but it was a fine effort from the less experienced McMillan which will no doubt help him in future championship bouts.

Marcin Lewicki was representing Lancaster Boxing Academy in the 81kg category and he was lined up against Ben Grimshaw representing Leigh ABC.

This was the second appearance in the finals for Lewicki and his previous experience stood him in good stead. This was as one-sided a contest you could get in the finals.

From the opening bell Lewicki was throwing punches with great force and determination, catching Grimshaw with strong shots to the body which was slowly wearing his man down.

The second round saw Lewicki continue where he had left off and it was no surprise when the referee administered a standing eight count midway through the round.

At this point the fight could and should have been stopped, but to Grimshaw’s credit his bravery wouldn’t let him quit.

From the start of the third it was only a matter of time but the end came with a little more menace than anticipated.

After landing a huge left to the head Lewicki went back to the body which crumpled Grimshaw who was immediately sick in the centre of the ring.

The contest was stopped with Lewicki winning by stoppage. This was a superb performance by Lewicki who now goes on to the National Finals later on this month.

After the contests coach Bob Howard said: “Both boys were a credit to both the club and themselves.

Reece will learn a lot from today and he will come back stronger next time. Marcin boxed well today and if he wants to progress he will need the same determination he showed today.”

On the previous Friday, Liam Rogers from Lancaster Boxing Academy was in a contest against Darren Preston from the Pool of Life Club in Atherton.

Liam was high in confidence after his recent victory and this showed in his performance.

From the start he bossed the fight from the centre of the ring, landing with great combinations and backing his opponent up at will.

In the second round and after some strong punches to the body, the referee stepped in to give Preston a standing eight, and although he was allowed to continue the punishment, no-one present would have been surprised had the contest been stopped.

The third saw Rogers slow down a little but he continued to stop Preston from coming forward and at the final bell his hand was raised as a unanimous winner.

With Rogers now on a roll let’s hope this winning streak can continue.