Mixed fortunes for Heysham Atoms sides

Billy Livingstone.
Billy Livingstone.

The Heysham Atoms’ first team may not have been in action but it was a busy weekend for the club.

The A team suffered a rare defeat at they fell 36-30 to Wigan St Cuthberts A in the North West Men’s League Entry Division at the Trimpell on Saturday.

The Atoms had a spirited opening with Shane Weed being unlucky not to score as he was held up over the line.

Fellow prop Matt Field then also went close but damaged his knee in the process and took no further part.

The pressure eventually told and a short chip kick from Dan Helme close to the line was picked up by centre Matt Short for the Atoms’ first points.

St Cuthberts were level on the quarter hour however after an intercepted pass allowed their winger to sprint 80 metres to score.

It was a hard slog for both sides and the Atoms turned to a strong bench to make the difference and it had the desired effect almost immediately, Liam Hall scoring a typical try before Billy Livingstone made it three Atoms scores as he backed up a Mark Walker break to make it 18-6 at the break.

St Cuthberts fought back hard and brought the scores level moments into the second half. The sides couldn’t be separated as Wigan’s influential loose forward scored in the corner before Livingstone bagged his second as the sides were locked up again at 24-24 with a quarter of the game left to play.

Wigan got some breathing room however with two quick-fire tries giving them a 12-point cushion before the Atoms came storming back to set up a tense finish.

Andrew Collins scored from a Livingstone chip kick and then proceeded to knock over the extras from the touchline but it was to be the last score of a thoroughly entertaining encounter.

The Atoms’ under 18s were also on the end of a rare defeat as a four-match unbeaten run came to an end with a 30-10 defeat to form side Latchford Albion.

A uncharacteristic start saw the Atoms 16-0 before they had really got themselves into the game.

A stretched Atoms defence conceded a fourth try out wide before lively full back Micheal Forrest used his exceptional footwork to create an opening for himself and sprint 60 yards to score in the left-hand corner.

The second half was much closer as a contest and the improved Atoms made more of a contribution.

Will Hunt got their second try and converted it himself before Latchford rounded off the scoring.

The club’s under 13 side were winners however, beating Wigan St Cuthberts 32-6.

Man of the match Ewan Hutchinson kicked off the scoring with a try converted by the reliable boot of Henry Connolly.

Hutchinson soon had his second, with the extras again added by Connolly, before captain Callum Brodie crossed for an 18-0 half-time lead.

Hutchinson completed his hat-trick with a 50-yard try in the second half, the conversion coming from James Dobson.

Not to be outdone, Connor McGuinness was the next name on the score sheet with a 60-yard try of his own.

St Cuthberts did pull a try back but it was Simon Cody who had the final say for the Atoms’ youngsters.

The Atoms’ first team host Irlam Hornets this Saturday, June 28, as they look to continue a fine start to the season that sees them sit third in the North West Men’s League Division One with games in hand on the teams above them.