Heysham Atoms 30-24 Wigan St Judes

Billy Livingstone.
Billy Livingstone.
Share this article

Heysham Atoms took their unbeaten run to 10 games with an entertaining victory against Wigan St Judes.

With the draw looking likely with only two minutes remaining the outstanding Andrew Collins found the vital gap in the defensive line just to force his way over.

There was very little to choose between the teams with neither side gaining more than a six-point advantage throughout the 80 minutes.

Liam Hall and Jason Short showed their early intent with some punishing hits on their opposite numbers in the middle channel of the field.

The Atoms’ outside defenders were not as convincing, conceeding an early try wide out on the left.

An immediate response was needed and stand off Stuart Lacey obliged, forcing a goal line drop out straight from the restart.

The pressure was applied on St Judes’ line and Liam Hall scored the Atoms opening try.

The Atoms went straight back on the offensive and second row Collins made the first of his many half breaks down the left centre area.

He drew a penalty for interference and Billy Livingstone smacked over the two points shortly followed by two more for a similar offence.

Livingstone chipped and chased on the last tackle to force the second goal line drop out of the game but an unforced error relieved the pressure.

A St Judes clean break down the Atoms right was only stopped by a Helme covering tackle but the ball came free in contact and St Judes scooped up to make it 10-10.

A Collins break, a pin point kick from Lacey, a huge leap from Jake Harrison on the line, all contributed to centre Dan Ginocchio touching down in the right-hand corner in the second half.

St Judes finally found their kicking accuracy and this lead to a try close to the posts.

Livingstone then targeted some tiring defenders to get his first try of the game, giving the Atoms a two-point cushion.

The only area that was of concern to the Atoms was their defence in the wide positions and this area was exploited as St Judes added a try close to the corner flag but the conversion failed.

A good kick from Lacey gave great field poition for the Atoms and Livingstone did the rest with a carbon copy score for his second try of the game.

The problems in defence were again exploited as St Judes drew level with six minutes to play.

A draw seemed likely until Collins stepped up for the winning score to set up a mouth-watering clash with unbeaten league leaders Wigan Spring View at the Trimpell ground next Saturday.