Heysham Atoms 30-10 Wigan St Cuthberts

Jamie Cottle.
Jamie Cottle.

The Heysham Atoms progressed to the quarter-finals of the North West Men’s League Challenge Cup with a fine victory against St Cuthberts of Wigan.

The win was fashioned with a near-faultless display in the first -half which carried on the momentum gained last week in the victory over Ashton Bears.

Jamie Cottle and Mathew Humpage tore strips off the St Cuthbert defenders showing so much pace and awareness around the ruck that they were virtually unplayable, gaining yards at will.

Full back Cottle is in the form of his Atoms career and he opened the scoring spotting a gap down the narrow side in the third minute of play, Stuart Lacey confidently smashing over the conversion from the left touchline.

Cottle then got his second of the game, sprinting 70 metres from a scrum to score with Lacey again adding the extras.

Humpage found his running boots with a quarter of the game gone, making two big breaks down centre field that could have resulted in tries had the ball gone to hand.

More pressure from a rampant Atoms side brought loose forward Mark Walker his opening try of the season as he showed good strength forcing his way over.

A well-placed Humpage kick and an enthusiastic Atoms chase forced the first goal line drop out of the game, one that ended with Al Crookall scoring and taking the score to 24-0.

There was still time in the half for another Cottle clean break but this time he was just held up over the line as he searched for the hat-trick.

The second half started just as the first had finished with Jack Edmondson breaking through the St Cuthberts defence directly from the kick off and showing enough pace and power to beat all the cover on his way to the line.

At 30-0 up with 35 minutes to play the Atoms’ intensity dropped with the Wigan side sensing a way back in the game.

Two scores were conceded by the Atoms as a result of less than convincing defending.

There were only glimpses in the second period of what the Atoms were capable of with Curtis Lacey and Dan Ginocchio both looking dangerous.

Winger Jack Lawton was denied a late score as some late pressure was exerted on the St Cuthberts line but the Atoms couldn’t add to their tally.

The hosts finished strongly defensively as well preventing any further scores as they moved into the last eight.

This Saturday the Atoms return to North West Men’s League Premier Division action with their toughest task to date.

Andy Helme takes his side to Widnes St Maries in a 2.30pm kick-off.