Heysham Atoms 25-12 Clock Face Miners

Michael Forrest starred for the Heysham Atoms against Clock Face Miners.
Michael Forrest starred for the Heysham Atoms against Clock Face Miners.

The Heysham Atoms produced their best performance of the season in their final home game against second in the table Clock Face Miners from St Helens on Saturday.

After surviving some early pressure the hosts were soon in front.

A accurate kick and chase from Stuart Lacey forced an error with Billy Livingstone darting through a gap close to the ruck to score.

On 12 minutes it was 8-0 with the ever-improving Olly Murray, who had been selected to represent Scotland’s Under 19s, benefiting from a Livinstone blind side attack to extend the Atoms’ lead.

Penalties and errors soon invited the St Helens side forward and the high-fliers didn’t need much of an invitation as they went over for a converted score.

Clock Face continued to press forwards and despite the best efforts of man of the match Michael Forrest the visitors scored again to go into the break 12-8 to the good.

The Trimpell fans didn’t need to worry however as an Atoms side who have exceeded all expectations in their first season of Premier Division rugby hit top form to ensure the visitors were scoreless in the second half.

The Heysham pack weathered an early storm before starting to take control with Olly Murray on hand to produce one fantastic piece of try-saving defending.

The Atoms regrouped and Jack Lawton went close chasing a Lacey kick before replacement winger Kai Davis made an immediate impression on his return to the side finishing off a slick handling move.

The hosts only grew in confidence from this point on with Livingstone getting his second try of the game in somewhat fortunate circumstances as he kicked ahead and picked up the rebound off a Clock Face player.

With a quarter of an hour to play the Atoms got the crucial score as they increased their lead to 12 points.

Lawton picked up a loose pass and sprinted away into the left-hand corner, showing enough determination to score in the face of a last-ditch tackle.

Dan Helme then capped a fine performance as he intelligently fired over a drop goal to meaning the St Helens side had to score three times if they were to secure an unlikely win.

The Atoms defence stayed strong however to complete a fine victory.