Heysham Atoms 18-18 Ulverston

Mark Walker scores for The Atoms.
Mark Walker scores for The Atoms.
Share this article

Heysham Atoms and Ulverston could not be split at the end of an uncompromising clash in which six tries were shared.

An Atoms missed tackle in the middle of the park and an off load allowed the Ulverston hooker to dart under the posts to put his side into an early lead.

The Atoms hit back within five minutes as Dan Helme made a half break and Mark Walker plunged over from short-range for a Billy Livingstone converted a try.

A misread in defence wide out on The Atoms’ left then gifted Ulverston their second try.

The Atoms responded by forcing a turn over on the half way line as they caught Ulverston in possession on the last tackle.

An excellent run from Jason Short put the Atoms in an excellent attacking position and Livingstone found Walker with a short pass, resulting in his second try to level the scores.

Stuart Lacey attempted a drop goal that just missed but a goal-line drop out was forced.

The Atoms drew a penalty and Livingstone smashed over the two points for a half time lead of 14-12.

The second half was just as tight as the first with both sides reluctant to yield any kind of yardage or territory.

Ulverston’s replacement powerful prop was difficult to put over and had enough determination to force his way onto the line.

Another series of penalties allowed the pressure to be released from the Ulverston line.

Discipline was going to be a key factor and The Atoms needed to sort this out quickly.

Hooker Livingstone went close after an excellent charge from Craig Dixon. 
Liam Hall is always dangerous close to the line and he forced his way over to bring the scores level at 18-18.

Al Crookall’s strong running in the right centre constantly caught the eye but an excellent tackle saved a possible Ulverston try.

Ulverston took a quick tap penalty when in range for kick which The Atoms defended well.

Walker was close to completing his hat-trick before Lacey tried to win the game with a drop goal attempt.

The kick failed but Hall followed up and nearly claimed the ball over the line.

The drama continued right until the final whistle as an Ulverston kick and chase nearly brought the winning try but neither side could get the score needed to seal the points, the 18-18 stalemate being just about the right result.