Morecambe’s heavyweight sensation has sent out a clear message to boxing kings the Klitschko brothers: “Move over, the Furys are coming”.
Tyson Fury made the bold claim after it was announced his cousin Hughie Fury had turned professional and would be on the undercard of Tyson’s clash with former world cruiserweight champion Steve Cunningham at New York’s Madison Square Garden on April 20.
Hughie, just 18, is the son of Tyson’s trainer and uncle Peter is a decorated amateur who won the World Youth Games heavyweight gold medal last year.
The Stockport teen has elected to turn professional instead of fighting for Team GB at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
Speaking at a press conference last week in London before they flew off for camp in North America, Tyson, undefeated in his 20 fights, said: “Together we will take over the heavyweight division.
“When I get the title, I will take on all-comers. Then Hughie will come along and we’ll reign with all the belts.
“Move over the Klitschkos, the Furys are coming.”
The fight represents 24-year-old Tyson’s American debut and will be shown on NBC in the US as well as Channel 5 in the UK.
The winner will have to win one further fight to become the mandatory challenge for Wladimir Klitschko’s IBF title.
Meanwhile, the Morecambe man has reportedly been slapped with a £3,000 fine for a Twitter rant at rival David Price.
Fury has also been warned about his future conduct by the British Boxing Board of Control.
He said: “It’s time to maybe quieten down a bit.
“The board have been more than lenient and I do appreciate what they have done for me.”