Stockport County LFC 5-5 Morecambe Ladies

Jodie Woodburn claims the ball.
Jodie Woodburn claims the ball.

Morecambe Ladies were involved in a high-scoring game on Saturday, drawing 5-5 with their Stockport County hosts.

Morecambe created the first chance of the game when Niki Emery made space for herself and fired in a shot, but Stockport goalkeeper Jade Newton parried the ball, gathering it before Emma Kay could get to the rebound.

Stockport were then awarded a penalty when Jodie Woodburn clipped Hannifer Douglas in the area, but Grace Campbell blazed her spot kick over the bar.

However, County took the lead soon after when Douglas won the ball back and gave the ball to Chaneece Reeves, who drove forward and fired a cracker past Woodburn.

Morecambe were level just two minutes later though when Laura Callis played in Kay, who ran from the halfway line and buried the ball into the back of the net.

Emery was then brought down in the area by Campbell, and the Stockport player was sent off – Becky Whittingham scored from the spot to put Morecambe 2-1 up.

Morecambe made full use of their extra player, and Laura Ivinson linked up with Jade Thornhill to make it 3-1 at half time.

Ten minutes into the second half Jeneyah Webb burst through the Morecambe defence and slipped the ball passed Colissa Baines, who had replaced Woodburn in the Morecambe goal, to give County a lifeline.

Lucy Coppard restored Morecambe’s two-goal lead though when her header from Whittingham’s cross looped over the keeper’s head to make it 4-2.

Stockport got themselves back in the game again when the ball fell to Jade Wilson inside the area following a Chloe Mapp cross.

Laura Callis did her best to block the shot, but the ball hit the back of the net and it was 4-3. Six minutes later Mapp equalised for Stockport as Morecambe failed to take advantage of their extra player.

Calling and Hannah Pailing then tried to play the ball out from the back, but Stockport won the ball back in a dangerous area.

A fine defence-splitting pass had Jelayah Webb beating the offside trap to guide the ball passed Baines to give Stockport a 5-4 lead.

Morecambe refused to give up – Whittingham picked a pass through to Sophie Fish, who cut inside and set up Emery, whose shot had the keeper scrambling across the goal to collect the ball.

Whittingham then flighted a pass into Kay’s path on the left, and Kay jinked passed a couple of defenders and fired a mirror image of her first goal into the net to make it 5-5.

The final few minutes were fast and furious, but there were no more goals and Morecambe had to settle for a draw despite having the one player advantage.