SLIDESHOW: Morecambe 2-1 Plymouth

Share this article

Padraig Amond’s first Morecambe goal gave them all three points against Plymouth at the Globe Arena on Saturday.

The striker struck seven minutes from time as the Shrimps secured a come-from-behind win to record back-to-back league victories.

Reuben Reid had deservedly put Argyle ahead from the penalty spot on 27 minutes only for Kevin Ellison to equalise less than 60 seconds later.

And after a scrappy second period it was Amond who reacted quickest in the area on 83 minutes to hammer the winner home with his left foot.

A Shrimps side containing four changes from the Capital One Cup defeat to Newcastle had to withstand some early pressure.

Curtis Nelson headed a corner from the returning Lewis Alessandra wide four minutes in before Dominic Blizzard saw a well-struck shot from 20 yards go over the crossbar.

The home side settled, some excellent Robbie Threlfall corners testing the Argyle defence, but it was the visitors who made far and away the better start, with Marvin Morgan and Reid causing the Shrimps defence problems with their power and pace.

The latter beat Shrimps skipper Mark Hughes to the ball on 23 minutes but his poked effort on the stretch went over Roche and the crossbar.

It wasn’t long however before John Sheridan’s side were deservedly ahead from the spot.

Hughes was beaten by Morgan in the area with the Morecambe skipper hauling the big Argyle number 10 to the ground leaving referee Tony Harrington with no option but to point to the spot on 27 minutes.

Reid stepped up and confidently sent Roche the wrong way, scoring into the bottom-left corner to put the Pilgrims in front.

But it was a lead that lasted less than a minute, as almost straight from the kick-off the ball broke to Ellison in the area and he hammered a shot past Luke McCormick at the near post to level things up.

The home side were still a long way from their best, Argyle skipper Conor Hourihane firing a well-struck volley from distance wide five minutes before the break.

And the Shrimps were dealt - blow in the run up to half-time, Chris McCready going off injured after suffering a shoulder injury in a clash with Morgan.

It was all to play for in the second half, but it was a largely scrappy affair, with one long delay due to a broken corner flag.

Roche did have to be on his toes however, producing an excellent save low to his left to keep out Neal Trotman’s close-range header, with Curtis Nelson seeing his follow up blocked on the hour mark.

But both sides were having little joy in the final third, Trotman heading Amond’s in-swinging cross over his own bar 15 minutes from time.

That was until the former Accrington man found the ball at his feet 15 yards out and fired a left-foot shot beyond McCormick’s outstretched right hand, as the Shrimps finished a big week in the club’s history on a high.

Morecambe: Roche, Parrish, McCready (Wright 43), Hughes (capt), Threlfall, Kenyon, Drummond, Fleming, Marshall (Sampson 66), Amond, Ellison (Diagne 90). Subs not used: Arestidou, McGee, Mwasile, Doyle.

Booked: Sampson

Plymouth: McCormick, Nelson, Trotman, Branston, Berry (Blanchard 49), Alessandra, Blizzrad, Hourihane, Boco (Harvey 87), Reid (Gurrieri 72), Morgan. Subs not used: Cole, Blackman, Young, Richards.

Booked: Blanchard, Boco, Hourihane

Referee: Tony Harrington