SLIDESHOW: Morecambe 1-0 Wolves

A stunning Ryan Williams free-kick five minutes from time handed Morecambe a famous win over Wolves.

The midfielder’s trademark 25-yard strike proved to be decisive as the Shrimps caused a huge upset in the Capital One Cup first round against a side who were in the Premier League only two seasons ago.

Ryan Williams scores from a free-kick to give Morecambe a shock victory over Wolves in the Capital One Cup First Round.

Ryan Williams scores from a free-kick to give Morecambe a shock victory over Wolves in the Capital One Cup First Round.

It was a goal fit to win any game in front of the Sky cameras and meant Jim Bentley’s side kept up their unbeaten record against Wolves having knocked them out of the same competition back in 2007.

The game started at a frantic pace, Stewart Drummond testing Carl Ikeme with a low drive from 22 yards inside the opening minute before Tony Diagne burst down the left only to see his whipped cross narrowly evade Padraig Amond at the far post.

Wolves however soon settled and Jake Cassidy came close to giving them the lead, flicking an Anthony Forde centre narrowly wide from six yards out.

It was end-to-end stuff though and Drummond came close again on the quarter hour, his deft header from Amond’s centre just going the wrong side of the post.

After a fast start the game calmed but both sides still threatened, Ryan Williams scuffing a left foot shot wide from the edge of the area on the half hour.

Bathed in the setting sun, the game continued to entertain, Wolves firing in a warning on the stroke of half time, Matt Doherty exchanging a neat one-two with Forde before seeing his misdirected cross-come-shot from the byline hit the post.

The visitors then hit the post a further two times in as many minutes shortly after the break.

Leigh Griffiths should have arguably put them ahead when he headed Zele Ismail’s deep cross against the post from close range before Ismail, again cutting in from the right, hit the crossbar with Barry Roche well beaten.

The Shrimps kept coming however, Wolves being forced to scramble clear on 55 minutes when a Williams free-kick hit Ikeme and bounced into the six-yard area.

Jim Bentley’s side then forced a series of corners and put the League 1 title favourites under sustained pressure, Amond’s cross on the hour mark going agonisingly across the face of goal.

Moments later, Andy Fleming saw a low, left-foot drive from the edge of the area go inches wide of Ikeme’s right-hand post.

Wolves still threatened however. Roche getting down well to parry a dipping Forde volley from distance 20 minutes from time.

The Irish under 21 international was arguably the visitors’ best player and he again tested Roche from outside the area on 80 minutes, but the Shrimps number one saved well with his legs.

But it was the Shrimps who were to decisively get their noses in front with five minutes to play.

After Fleming was cynically fouled 25 yards from goal, Williams stepped up and got his free-kick up and over the wall and beyond the outstretched right hand of Ikeme to send the Globe Arena into raptures.

And despite a nervous final few minutes the Shrimps held on to cause a huge upset.

Morecambe: Roche, Parrish, Hughes (capt), Diagne, Wright, Drummond, Williams (McGee 88), Fleming, Mwasile (Kenyon 77), Amond, Sampson. Subs not used: Arestidou, Bell, McGee, McGowan, Woods, Naylor.

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Batth, Ebanks-Landell, Reckord, Ismail (Evans 66), Davis, Foley, Forde (Macalinden 88), Cassidy (Doyle 57), Griffiths. Subs not used: Hennessey, Price, Ihiekwe, Margreitter.

Booked: Davis, Doherty

Referee: Geoff Eltringham

Attendance: 2,545 (724) from Wolves