SLIDESHOW: College given lesson in cup football against Highgrove

In the 848-848 Taxis Sam Price Memorial Cup Premier Division, Highgrove moved into the next round after a 2-1 win over College AFC.

Liam Scott and Nathan Winder got the goals for Highgrove, Alan Davies was on target for College but it wasn’t enough to save his team from defeat.

AFC College v Highgrove.

AFC College v Highgrove.

In the Black Dragon Senior Challenge Cup second Round, the eagerly awaited game between Storeys and Mayfield United lived up to its billing as one of the matches of the day.

Storeys had most of the second half possession but it was Mayfield who came closest to opening the scoring in a goal-mouth melee, the ball from eight yards out looked to be heading for the net but it hit the back of another Mayfield attacker before being cleared.

With time running out and extra time looming Storeys were awarded a penalty with just two minutes remaining.

The spot kick taken by Liam Jeffries was put into the corner, sending the keeper the wrong way.

In the next round Storeys will be at home to Premier side Caton United.

In the Alan Shanks/Fisher/Howson Remembrance Cup second round, last season’s runners-up Caton United Reserves from Division Three entertained Division Two side Galgate Reserves in what promised to be a good competitive game.

It was Caton who did most of he running and with Rik Eaves they had the man of the match, scoring a brilliant hat-trick to put the skids under a useful Galgate side, Shaun Ritchie scored the fourth for Caton.

In reply Chris Haslam and young Jack Braithwaite scored the goals for Galgate.

In the third round Caton will be away to Division Four side Mayfield United Reserves.

The youngsters of Carnforth Rangers A from Division Four caused the biggest shock of the competition so far this season when they knocked out the experienced Division Two side Highgrove Reserves in their first ever game in this competition.

Highgrove had the best chance to take the lead in the first half, only for the shot to hit a post and be cleared.

Just before half-time Carnforth took the lead with an excellent strike from Joe Bouskill.

Carnforth dominated most of the second half and deservedly went into a 2-0 lead when Robbie Mooring took his chance well to score.

After more Carnforth pressure they went into a 3-0 lead courtesy of an own goal.

In round three the Carnforth side will be away to the winners of the Storeys Reserves/Morecambe Gold Reserves tie.

Marsh United Reserves, currently lying at the bottom of Division Two, were much too good for Division Three side College AFC Reserves.

Nial Doherty, two super goals by Jamie Taylor and James Coulton put Marsh into a commanding position before Daniel Murtagh scored a consolation for the College side.

In round three Marsh will be away to Morecambe Royals Reserves.

Division Four side Westgate Wanderers Reserves entertained Division Two side Morecambe Royals Reserves in what turned out to be the match of the day.

Westgate started the game much better than the Royals and took a shock lead after just five minutes.

A cross from the right wing was headed out and partially cleared by a defender, the ball fell invitingly to the feet of Todd Schofield who hit a tremendous shot that Liam Wilkinson in the Royals goal could only help into the net.

Eventually the Royals started to get into the game, only for Mike Zorab, the Westgate keeper, to have one of those days when he stopped everything and was almost unbeatable, one tremendous save from a 25 yard rocket from Rob Elder was unbelievable.

The Royals piled more pressure on Westgate and finally it paid off with the equaliser.

From another excellent stop by the keeper the ball went for a corner, this time the keeper was beaten when veteran Stuart Talbot rose above everyone else to head into the net to make it 1-1 at the break.

The second half saw the game even out with both teams battling for supremacy.

Westgate, two divisions lower than the Royals, went into the lead for the second time after some great play from Scott Waters who cut through the Royals defence with ease and fired in a shot which was brilliantly saved by Wilkinson.

However, he couldn’t control the ball and as it ended in mid-air Waters following up headed into an empty net to make it 2-1.

This set back spurred on the Royals who hit back with Dan Mardell and Gareth Holmes taking over the 

After more pressure from the Royals they did eventually draw level again after a cross into the penalty area was spilled by Zorab, his first mistake of the game, for Grant Waters to force the ball into the net to equalise.

Both sides threw caution to the wind as they looked for another goal in the last few minutes but after an exciting 90 minutes it ended 2-2 and extra time.

Within five minutes of extra time a mix-up in the Royals half of the field gave Westgate the chance of another goal, the ball fell to Eric Shaw who saw the Royals keeper off his line and hit a tremendous shot over the keeper and into the net to make it 3-2.

The Royals responded very well but again they were denied by the brilliance of the Westgate keeper who made many more excellent saves.

One cross into the Westgate six yard area from Talbot fell to the feet of Elder who had the simple task of tapping into the net.

It was still an open game with Westgate trying for all they were worth and were always dangerous on the break.

The winning goal came with just five minutes remaining when after a strong run Grant Waters found himself on the left of the six yard area and his strong penetrating cross again found Elder, who this time bundled the ball over the line to give his side the lead for the first time.

Although Westgate tried to get back into the game the Royals shut the game down and held on.

In the Sam Price Memeorial Cup first round, Carnforth Rangers eased their way to a comfortable 4-1 over a gallant Marsh United side that never gave up.

After Mark Plevey scored for Carnforth it always looked too much for the Marsh team.

Damien Murphy, Daniel Syson and James Rafferty scored the other Carnforth goals.

Craig Gribbin scored a good consolation for Marsh United. In the second round Carnforth will be at home to Trimpell.

Morecambe Royals, after last weeks thrashing by Carnforth, bounced back to beat Cartmel and District by a single 1-0 margin.

The game was even throughout with the most exciting phase of the match left right to the end.

As the game entered its 90th minute substitute Johnny Durnan collected the ball just inside his own half of the field and headed towards goal, he cut inside once beating two defenders before cutting inside again before blasting the ball into the net to give his side a much needed win.

In the second round the Royals will be at home to the winners of the Galgate v Ingleton tie.

In the Baines Bagguley North Lancashire Football League Premier Division, Galgate extended their winning sequence to five when they comprehensively beat Caton United, winning 3-0.

The Galgate side dominated most of the game with Chris Cottam terrorising the Caton defenders with his strong tricky runs down both wings.

Will Onek opened the Galgate scoring with Steven Stirzaker and Chris Gardner scoring the others.

This win moves Galgate up to fifth place.

Trimpell had the better of the first half against a battling Swarthmoor Social Club side who are at the wrong end of the table.

Two goals in the first half were scored for Trimpell by Liam Brown.

The second half saw Swarthmoor get more into the game but could not make the break through.

In Division One, Arnside had an excellent 4-0 win over a Freehold team that appear to be losing form at the wrong time and have dropped into a relegation place.

Arnside, still with high hopes of bouncing back to the Premier Division, played really well and deserved their win after Joe Taylor, James Thornton, James Barr and James Thornton had scored the goals.

Heysham’s early season form has deserted them as they slipped to another defeat this time at the hands of mid-table Millhead but still stay in second place.

Millhead decided to play their most attacking football of the season, rattling in six goals all scored by Chris Cottam, Jamie Nicholls, Jack Brown, David Cowperthwaite (2) and Bradley Shuttleworth.

Heysham, although playing poorly by their standards, never gave up and scored four of their own through Liam Steele, Kevin Jago, Christoff Michalak and Jamie Shuttleworth,

Kirkby Lonsdale are hit and miss this season, playing well one game and poorly others.

Against a Carnforth Rangers Reserves team that had only won once so far this season they decided to play poorly and got what they deserved, well beaten.

Carnforth, despite scoring four times, could have at least doubled that tally after Richard Chambers (2) and Alec Benson (2) had scored.

Kirkby’s lone strike was from Thomas Gardner. From a challenging fourth position Kirkby have now dropped to sixth place.

Leaders Moor Lane faced defeat at the hands of bottom team TIC Dyn/Overton/Middleton Reserves when they trailed 2-0, Adam Nutt scored both for the Dynamos side.

A second half rally by the Moor team brought them back into it thanks to goals from Mukhar Patel and Sal Palowski to keep them two points clear of Heysham.

Grange bounced back to form after beating a well under-par Westgate Wanderers side who gave up completely with 20 minutes remaining.

Grange took the lead when Karl Davidson slotted an inch perfect through ball straight into the path of Joe Wellens who scored with ease to give his side an early lead.

Westgate fought back immediately and equalised when the excellent Ryan Worrall skipped past the left back of Grange before smashing the ball into the net at the near post.

Grange regained the lead when skipper Steve Grundy nutmegged the keeper from a free kick to make it 2-1 at half time.

The second half was only a few minutes old when Matthew Dean burst through Westgate’s defence before setting up Wellens to score his second with a tap in.

Westgate came roaring back into the game and James Mallinson managed to scramble the ball into the net after a scrappy long throw was not dealt with by the Grange defenders.

Grange got the killer goal when Grundy rose highest at a corner to head into the net and seal the points.

Westgate knew they were a beaten side and from then on Grange piled on the pressure, led by midfield general Karl Davidson to score a further four goals,

Matthew Dean scored with a free header, Cameron McGoff lobbed the keeper to record a well taken goal, Wellens completed his hat-trick when he again had the simple task of tapping into the net from close range.

The final goal of a good display from Grange was scored by the manager Lee Harrison, whose mis-kick from two yards out still managed to go just under the bar.

He will still have been pleased at his side’s display of attacking football.

In Division Two, Boys’ Club after being relegated last season are making a determined push to gain promotion back to Division One.

After a sluggish start to the season they are picking up and have moved into joint second place along side Burton Thistle.

Boys’ Club played good open football against Trimpell Reserves and fully deserved their win.

Goals by Johnny Silverwood, Matthew Bateson and Daniel Jackson opened up a winning 3-0 lead.

In the 90th minute Trimpell managed to get get on the scoresheet when Josh Davies converted from the penalty spot.

The match of the day saw fourth placed AFC Moorlands beat second placed Burton Thistle quite easily, 3-0, with Chris Lund, Adrian Ecoub and Joe Garnett scoring the goals.

Burton just could not get into the game and at the end were well beaten.

In Division Three, leaders C.C Wanderers had a charmed life before finally hanging on to win 3-2 over Lancaster Rovers.

The Wanderers took the lead after just 60 seconds when Ian Dewhirst scored.

The Rovers played really well but missed a host of chances in front of goals which they paid for later in the game.

Goals for the Rovers were scored by Nathan Howse and Kieron Pedder with James Dobson and the winner from Daniel Caton scored by the Wanderers.

For the last 15 minutes the Wanderers had to defend against wave after wave of Royals attacks.

Boys’ Club Reserves travelled to play Preesall and Pilling hoping for all three points to keep them in touch with the leaders.

They played really well and opened up a 4-1 and then a 5-2 lead but some good attacking from the Preesall side and some poor defending by the Boys’ Club side saw the game end in a 5-5 draw, Dave Thornhill was the man of the match for the Pilling team with a good hat-trick, Luke Willims and Chris Whalley scored the others.

Boys’ Club scorers were Hamish Reed, William Waterton, veteran Adam Rawlins and a brace from Jack Braithwaite.

Boys’ Club, although delighted with a draw, realised it was two points lost.

Kirkby Lonsdale Reserves, the only team in the league without a single point so far this season, almost earned all three points when they played Torrisholme.

The game could have gone either way as the game ebbed and flowed but the more experienced Torrisolme side just shaded it with a rare goal scored by Peter Hetherington, Scott Shields and Nicholas Dagger.

In reply young Joshua Bateson scored both for Kirkby.

In Division Four just one game was played due to cup matches and it resulted in 6-1 win for FC Britannia over an under performing C.C Wanderers Reserves side.

The game wasn’t as one sided as the scoreline suggests but the Britannia team were always in control.

The experienced Britt scored for the Wanderers with Jordan Smith, Richard Thornton, his first this season, and four superb goals for the excellent Adam Knowles.

This win moves the Britannia side up to second place with the Wanderers still next to bottom.