Shrimps exit trophy on penalties

Morecambe 2-2 Preston

(Preston win 7-6 on penalties)

MORECAMBE bowed out of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy on a thrilling evening at the Globe.

The Shrimps came back from a two goal deficit to take the game into penalties but despite having the advantage twice went down 7-6 in the spot kick shoot out.

Morecambe trailed 2-0 at the break after a poor start to this Johnstone’s Paint Trophy tie proved costly.

The Shrimps went a goal down after just two minutes when Brian McLean was given a free header six yards out to head a Paul Parry free kick past Barry Roche.

Twenty minutes later it was 2-0 when Juhvel Tsoumou got in behind the Morecambe defence and he finished smartly past Barry Roche.

Morecambe came back just after the half hour and forced a number of half chances. Lewis Alessandra forced Andreas Arestidou into a decent save, Jason Price clipped an effort just wide and Phil Jevons headed over at the near post but they could not find the target.

The Shrimps maintained the pressure in the second half with Phil Jevons testing Arestidou with a shot from the edge of the area and Kieran Charnock headed an Izak Reid corner wide.

The Preston defence remained firm however until the Shrimps pulled one back eight minutes from time after a mistake from Aristedou. Barry Roche cleared long and Arestidou raced from his line to block. His first touch was a decent one but he was robbed by Phil Jevons who put the ball into the empty net.

The goal sparked some intense Morecambe pressure with Arestidou saving smartly from Alessandra’s close range effort and the North End defence working hard to block a string of Morecambe corners before Kevin Ellison made the pressure pay with a goal two minutes into injury time when ha hammered home the loose ball from Will Haining’s cross.

The Shrimps scored their first four penalties through Wilson, Jevons, Haining and McDonald but after success from Parry, Barton and McLean a miss from Clark Carlisle gave Morecambe the advantage. But a miss from Izak Reid set up the sudden death finale.

Ian Ashbee’s miss gave Morecambe the advantage again but again Kevin Ellison missed the vital spot kick. Mayor, Smith and Miller scored for Preston and Roche and Hunter struck home for Morecambe before Alessandra missed the vital kick to give North End victory

Morecambe: Roche: Haining, Fenton, Charnock; Reid, Drummond (rep McDonald 58), Hunter, Alessandra, Wilson; Jevons, Price (rep Ellison 71). Subs: Routledge, McCready, Parrish.

Preston: Aristedou; Gray, Clarke, McLean, Smith; Daley, Ashbee, Barton, Parry; Proctor (rep Mayor 71), Tsoumou. Subs: Turner, Mayor, Wright, Miller, Zibaka.

Ref: E Ilderton.