Rotherham 3-2 Morecambe

MORECAMBE slipped to a 92nd-minute defeat against 10-man Rotherham at the Don Valley Stadium on Saturday.

A stunning strike from the home side’s Lewis Grabban robbed the Shrimps of a point as Jim Bentley’s side failed to take advantage of Rotherham going down to 10 men for the final 15 minutes of the game after former Shrimps loanee Ryan Cresswell was sent off for a foul leading up to Morecambe’s second goal.

Grabban’s goal was fit enough to win any game as he produced a superb finish from the edge of the area with a dipping shot that gave Shrimps’ keeper Barry Roche no chance.

The Shrimps started slowly and Grabban almost scored in the first minute but dragged a shot wide from the angle after a good cross from Gareth Evans.

Morecambe threatened briefly with Danny Carlton seeing a shot superbly blocked by home skipper Johnny Mullins.

But from there the home side had the better of the possession and Danny Schofield curled an effort inches wide after cutting in from the right hand side before Rotherham took the lead on 21 minutes.

Carlton’s hesitation on the edge of his own box was fatal and Grabban took advantage with a sweetly struck low shot that was angled across Roche and into the bottom right hand corner.

Rotherham looked to add to their lead with Roche called upon to make fine saves from Evans and Grabban before the Shrimps levelled with a fine equaliser on 38 minutes.

Garry Hunter and Carlton broke quickly and Craig Curran’s lay-off teed up Jordan Burrow who produced a clinical finish to beat Andy Warrington for his third Morecambe goal.

After working their way back into the game the Shrimps went down for a second time early in the second half. Evans brushed past Niall Cowperthwaite all too easily and sent in a dangerous cross that was cleared to the edge of the box and Jason Taylor fired home the loose ball past the helpless Roche.

Rotherham should have added a third moments later when the excellent Ben Pringle saw his shot blocked before Grabban somehow missed the rebound from four yards out.

Pringle then forged another opening for Grabban but the striker’s header at full stretch flew well wide of the left-hand post.

Alex Revell was then denied by another excellent Roche block before the Shrimps hit back with an excellent break.

A ball over the top found Carlton who was upended by a clumsy tackle from Cresswell for a penalty which Jack Redshaw converted smartly past Warrington.

Unfortunately the Shrimps failed to build on that moment and went down to their sixth away defeat of the season.