Rangers march on in cup

IN the quarter-final of the Black Dragon Senior Challenge Cup, Carnforth Rangers, after a hard tussle against an out of form Caton United, went into the semi-final.

The game had plenty of excellent end-to-end football with Carnforth slightly the better side.

Chances were created by both sides but it took until the 70th minute before the breakthrough came and it came the way of Carnforth when Danny Syson beat the keeper with some ease.

Within minutes it was 2-0 after the game’s best player Gavin Darby scored a good goal.

Caton got back into the match with the goal of the game when he volleyed into the net from an inch perfect pass.

Caton started to get on top and pressed forward looking for an equaliser, but unfortunately a mistake by captain Dave Woods allowed Syson to make the game safe for Carnforth with his side’s third goal.

Still Caton pushed on looking to get back into the game, but, in time added on, another mistake in the heart of Caton’s defence by player/manager Jimmy Marshall gave Mambwe Chilusa the chance to make it 4-1, which he did with ease.

In the semi-final, Carnforth will be away to either Marsh United or Cartmel after their game was abandoned.

In the 848848 Taxis Memorial Cup second round Highgrove met Bentham in the second cup competition, winning again by a single goal scored in the second half by substitute Russell Mitchell.

The game started off brightly for two of the best teams in the league, both wanted to play football on a pitch that had its problems after being played on in wet conditions.

Highgrove had slightly more of the first half possession but neither side created any worthwhile chances and the ’keepers being mainly idle.

In 56th minute Highgrove made the breakthrough. A pass from the Highgrove midfield should have been intercepted by a defender, but before he could get the ball under control it hit a divot, went over his boot and the lurking Mitchell got to the ball first and dispatched it past the Bentham ’keeper with no defenders anywhere near.

This win moves Highgrove into their second semi-final where they will meet Cartmel at home this Saturday.

In the Premier Division, Slyne-with-Hest entertained the young Bowerham/Furness United side.

In the first half the teams were quite evenly matched with perhaps Slyne just edging it as they took a 1-0 lead at half-time with Paul Gill scoring the only goal.

The second half was similar to the first with both sides mainly cancelling each other out.

As both sides started to tire in the glorious weather, the younger side scored two late goals by Robin Dalgliesh and Joe Boluskill to give them a 2-1 win.

This defeat leaves Slyne in a precarious third from bottom position.

See the Lancaster Guardian (29-03-12) for full story.