Plymouth 1-1 Morecambe

MORECAMBE boss Jim Bentley praised his side for their never say die attitude after they maintained their superb away record with a last-gasp Nick Fenton goal.

Fenton scored four minutes into injury time to give a below-par Morecambe a defiant point after struggling to break down a determined Plymouth defence who worked hard to hang on to the lead after Simon Walton’s 31st minute opener.

Bentley said: “We have scored late goals this year and conceded late goals and I know which is the better feeling.

“In many ways this feels like a win because it came so late and I have to give the lads a lot of praise. This team never know when they are beaten and that is to their credit.

“We will play better than this, there is no doubt about it. We lacked spark and our passing was slack in parts but we still managed to come away with a point and I have to be happy with that.

“It was probably the poorest we have played away but what we have got is a great togetherness and spirit and we called on that upon that as we have done in the past.”

Fenton’s goal was another in the Shrimps’ growing goal of the season candidates as he latched on to a loose ball in the Plymouth area before smashing a volley into the top right hand corner of the net to give the Shrimps’ fans who made the 650 mile round trip a good journey home.

Bentley was forced to make three changes to the side that beat Gillingham seven days earlier with Laurence Wilson, Will Haining and Jason Price all injured and those changes seemed to have an effect in the opening 45 minutes as the Shrimps struggled to get into the game.

In a game of poor quality clear chances were rare. Morecambe did create an opening for Kevin Ellison who forced a save from Roman Larrieu while at the other end Plymouth had the majority of the possession but produced few threatening moments.

The game was finally brought to life on the half hour when Plymouth took the lead. Warren Feeney, a one time target for Sammy McIlroy, worked hard to create the assist with a cross from the right which the Morecambe defence cleared to the edge and home skipper Walton volleyed smartly past Barry Roche.

Morecambe looked for an early response with Gary McDonald heading a Garry Hunter corner wide from close range and Ellison denied a clear shot on goal by an excellent covering tackle from Blackpool loanee Paul Bignot.

The Shrimps looked much better in the second half but only began to cause the Argyle defence problems in the final stages of the game.

Ellison was once again the main threat, forcing Larrieu into his first save of note with a 30 yard free kick on 69 minutes before hitting the outside of the post 10 minutes from time with a superb volley from Izak Reid’s right wing cross.

To their credit the Shrimps continued to press and took advantage of the five minutes added on with Fenton’s fantastic strike.

Plymouth: Larrieu, Bignot, Nelson, Gibson, Bhasera, Young, Fletcher, Hourihane (Atkinson 79), Walton, Feeney, Sims (Lecointe 59). Subs not used: Williams, King, Vassell.

Booked: Fletcher.

Morecambe: Roche 7, Reid 8, McCready 7, Fenton 7, Parrish 7, Drummond 6, Hunter 6 (Fleming 59), McDonald 6, Alessandra 6 (Jevons 64), Ellison 7, Carlton 6. Subs not used: Routledge (GK), Cowperthwaite, Charnock.

Referee: F Graham.

Attendance: 5,419.

Star man: Izak Reid - Back in his old right back role and back on form.