Penalty pain for Rangers

IN the Lancashire Football Association Amateur Cup fourth round, Carnforth Rangers travelled to play Southport Amateurs, last season’s runners-up.

Carnforth had the better of the first half and creating some good chances but were thwarted by some good goalkeeping. With a bit more luck they could have turned round with at least a 3-0 lead.

The second half was played mainly in Carnforth’s half as Southport Amateurs were the better side.

With just 10 minutes remaining, Southport had a chance to win the game but missed the penalty they were awarded.

After 90 minutes the game remained goalless and the penalty shoot out proved costly to Carnforth as they lost 4-3.

In the other all-local tie, it was congratulations to College AFC, who knocked out Highgrove, one of the favourites to lift the trophy.

Top scorer Rikki Ball did score for Highgrove just before half-time but it was not enough as College replied with a second half equalising goal to send the tie to penalties.

The more experienced Highgrove succumbed to the pressure as College won 4-3 and will now travel to play Preston Wanderers for a place in the semi-final.

In the Dragon Senior Challenge Cup second round, Heysham travelled to play Kirkby Lonsdale, who had beaten them 10-0 just a couple of weeks earlier.

This time Heysham showed much more fight and were in the game for long periods until top scorers Andy Metcalfe (2) and Gary Taylor scored quick goals.

Other goals for Kirkby were scored by Joe Mather, his first of the season, and Mark Rogerson. Heysham did reply with two well worked goals, scored by Jamie Shuttleworth and Kevin Jago.

In the third round Kirkby Lonsdale from Division One will be at home on Saturday, December 3, to Premier side Marsh United.

Westgate Wanderers, although fielding a weakened side, did well to contain high flying Moor Lane from Division Three.

The confident Moor side took a deserved lead when Liam Rogers latched on to a loose ball to score.

Westgate woke up after this setback and just before half-time they deservedly equalised with a good goal by Greg Goralski.

The second half was quite even for long periods but it was Moor who again went into the lead when man of the match Michael Denwood scored what proved to be the winner.

In the next round Moor Lane will be away again, this time to Carnforth Rangers from the Premier Division.

See the Lancaster Guardian (17-11-11) for full story.