Oxford 1-1 Morecambe

Morecambe FC.
Morecambe FC.

Oxford struck late to deny Morecambe a second straight away win.

George Baldock’s goal three minutes from time cancelled out Kevin Ellison’s landmark early opener - his 50th in league and cup for the Shrimps.

The veteran’s strike had looked like being enough for Jim Bentley’s side but U’s full back Baldock earned Michael Appleton’s side a share of the spoils with a fine individual goal.

It could have been worse for the Shrimps but Ryan Edwards cleared a Patrick Hoban effort off the line and Andreas Arestidou saved sharply from James Roberts’ follow up to make sure of the point.

Ellison gave the Shrimps the lead on 11 minutes as the visitors looked to bounce back from their shocking display against Cambridge last time out.

Jack Redshaw created the opening with a right footed shot from 10 yards out that was well saved by Ryan Clarke but Ellison was in the perfect place to slot home the loose ball from six yards out.

From there Morecambe caused the home side all sorts of problems.

Ellison flashed a shot inches wide of the right hand post on 13 minutes and Jamie Devitt volleyed wide from the edge of the area.

The Shrimps looked to have been denied a penalty on 23 minutes when Redshaw was bundled over the box after a well-worked free-kick saw him look set for a free run on goal.

It proved to be a turning point of the half as Michael Appleton’s side began to take charge.

Danny Hylton fired straight at Andreas Arestidou on 36 minutes from 10 yards when he should have done much better before Josh Ruffells headed against the Morecambe crossbar from Alex McDonald’s right-wing cross with Arestidou beaten.

After a good start the Shrimps were left hanging on but moved a point closer to League 2 safety.

Oxford: Clarke, Baldock, Mullins, Wright, Skarz, Collins, Ruffels, O’Dowda (Roofe 65), Hoban, McDonald (Roberts 79), Hylton (Gnanduillet 64). Subs not used: Ashdown, Rose, Long, Dunkley.

Morecambe: Arestidou, Parrish, Hughes, Edwards, Beeley, Fleming, Wright (Goodall 58), Wilson, Devitt (Amond 73) Redshaw (Mullin 79), Ellison. Subs not used: Stewart, McGowan, Kenyon, Williams.

Referee: Fred Graham

Attendance: 6,924.