Oliver on target as Morecambe's Reserves are well beaten by Wigan

Connor Oliver was on target from the penalty spot and Adam Dugdale returned from injury as Morecambe's Reserves were well beaten 7-1 by Wigan on Tuesday afternoon.

Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 2:47 pm
Updated Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 3:57 pm
Adam Dugdale returned from injury.

Dugdale played the first half at the Globe Arena in his first appearance since picking up a foot injury at Bristol Rovers at the end of February.

Oliver got The Shrimps’ only goal with Paul Mullin, Charlie Bailey, Darren McKnight, Chris Doyle and Nathan Bondswell the other professionals involved.

The visitors were always in command though, Sam Cosgrove scoring a hat-trick and Sanmi Odelusi two with Andy Kellett and Alex Lingard getting one apiece.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Wigan made by far the brighter start with Danny O’Brien firing wide from distance.

Morecambe’s only real early opportunity was squandered by Paul Mullin on the quarter hour, the front man blazing over from 25 yards when he had Nathan Bondswell breaking to his left.

The visitors were deservedly in front three minutes later, Kellett playing in Odelusi who made no mistake when in on goal, beating Niall Maher with a low finish.

It was 2-0 midway through the half, Cosgrove making half a yard on the edge of the area before drilling a shot into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

Maher then prevented it from becoming three shortly before the half hour, beating away Lingard’s shot at his near post.

At the other end Owen Evans made his first save on 32 minutes, helping Bondswell’s shot across the face of goal round the post.

It was Wigan who got their third five minutes before the interval though, Kellett nicking the ball on the edge of the area before bending a neat left-foot finish in off the post.

There was almost a fourth before half-time but Odelusi blazed over James Barrigan’s pull back from 15 yards.

Morecambe did have one sight of goal in stoppage time, Mullin bending a free-kick from the left corner of the area narrowly wide.

The Shrimps finally got a foothold in the game less than a minute into the second half.

Oliver beat Adam Anson to the ball in the area and was felled, the Blackpool loanee picking himself up to send Evans the wrong way from the spot.

Wigan restored their three-goal advantage five minutes later though as Cosgrove beat Chris Doyle to Lingard’s high, hanging cross to head home.

It was five just after the hour mark as Odelusi joined Cosgrove on two goals for the day, his final act of the match being to beat Maher for the second time when in one-on-one from a Kellett pass.

Cosgrove wasn’t to be outdone though and had his hat-trick on 64 minutes as Wigan made it six, the front man profiting on a slip in the defence to fire in his third.

The seventh came five minutes later, Morecambe failing to clear a series of corners before Lingard hammered home beyond Maher at his near post.

The scoreline could have been even heavier for the hosts with Cosgrove flicking a header wide as he went in search of a fourth before substitute Louis Robles had a shot beaten away by Maher.

Morecambe: Maher, Cowley (Tomlinson 57), Livingstone, Dugdale (Webb 46), Doyle, McKnight, Bailey, Jordan, Oliver (Hedley 66), Bondswell (Townsend 71), Mullin. Subs not used: Povey.

Wigan: Evans, O’Brien (Baxendale 72), Lingard, Burke, Stubbs, Anson, Barrigan (Lang 82), Hamilton (Donaghey 82), Odelusi (Robles 62), Cosgrove, Kellett (Burgess 78).