North Lancs League: Sides knocked out of LFA Amateur Cup

The Lancashire Football Association Amateur Cup third round saw both remaining local sides bow out of the competition, but not without a fight.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 2nd November 2016, 5:00 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 2:54 pm
North Lancashire League.
North Lancashire League.

Highgrove travelled to play well known Little Lever Sports and put up a spirited performance before losing 4-1.

Daniel Caton scored the Highgrove goal but it was too little too late.

College AFC entertained a very much in-form Winstanley St Aidans, who have a 100 per cent record so far this season.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

College shook the visitors when they deservedly took a 1-0 lead, Ryan Pearson netting after some good build up play.

Winstanley roared back and within minutes led 2-1, a lead that they held on to until half time.

The second half saw the visitors raise their game and soon took a 3-1 lead.

College refused to give in and after a good spell of pressure they were awarded a penalty.

However, the spot kick was missed and Winstanley went straight up the other end and scored a real opportunist goal to make it 4-1 and killed the game.

The last two goals came in the closing stages as the College heads dropped and they were eliminated from the competition.

In the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire Football League Premier Division in what was probably the biggest shock result of the season so far, Carnforth Rangers suffered a humiliating 6-3 home defeat at the hands of Arnside.

Arnside started brilliantly and inside the opening 20 minutes they led 4-0, and deservedly so.

Carnforth had no answer to the early strikes from Adam Richardson and a hat-trick from leading scorer James Kirkham.

Marco Thompson was also on target and there was an own goal scored as well.

Damien Murphy, Jordan Hewitt and Aaron Hoyle scored for Carnforth Rangers.

Ingleton moved back to the top of the division after an easy 6-2 win over bottom club Westgate Wanderers.

The home side could have scored more but for some good, but often desperate, defending.

Westgate stuck to their task and eventually got on the scoresheet with two well taken goals from Jamie McGowan and Jason Dickson. Ingleton’s goals were scored by veteran Alex Hartley with two great finishes. Tom Earnshaw, Sam Hutcheson, Dan Towers and Aaron Woodhouse scored the others.

Marsh United were indebted to recent signing Daniel Martin for their win over Lancaster Rovers, his hat-trick helping his side to a 4-2 victory, with Joe Pollard scoring the other.

Lancaster Rovers’ goals were scored by Bradley Diamond, his second in two games, and Luke Foxcroft.

In Division One, leaders Cartmel and District Reserves beat Morecambe Royals 5-4 thanks to Tom Watson’s hat-trick and two from John Lord.

Tom O’Keeffe scored two in reply, Liam Brown and a David Atkinson penalty with the others.

Heysham won only their second game of the season, beating high-flying Carnforth Rangers Reserves 3-0.

Connor Mason opened the scoring with bullet-like header from the edge of the area from a corner, his second was another cracker when he curled the ball into the net, again from the edge of the penalty box.

Josh Muckle scored his side’s third, as Heysham moved out of the relegation zone and more performances like this will see them shoot up the table.