North Lancashire round-up: Galgate take over from Caton at the top

In the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire and District Football League Premier Division, Caton United slipped back down to second place after they were held to a 1-1 draw with Ingleton.
Carnforth Rangers 2015 LFA semi-final.Carnforth Rangers 2015 LFA semi-final.
Carnforth Rangers 2015 LFA semi-final.

Ingleton went into a first half lead when Alex Hartley scored from close in.

It didn’t take long for Caton to equalise when the excellent Sam Kirkby scored a great goal.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The second half saw Caton doing most of the pressing with Kellett in Ingleton’s goal being the busier of the two keepers but the game ended with a draw the fairest result.

Galgate leapt back to the top after beating a Bowerham side who were barely a threat all game.

Galgate’s first goal came courtesy of Shane Cragg who beat two defenders and calmly chipped the ball into the top corner of the net.

He scored his second from the penalty spot when Chris Gardner was brought down and the third was scored by Steven Stirzaker to make it 3-0 in a one-sided game which put Galgate back on top of the league.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It looks as though the wheels have come off for Bentham – after an excellent run they have now lost their last two games after they went down 2-1 to Marsh United.

Nick Buckley and Paul Dawson scored for Marsh with Daniel Briggs-Calvert replying for Bentham.

Morecambe Royals got back to winning ways when they overcame a youthful Storeys side, winning 4-1.

However, it did not look good for them as Storeys dominated the opening 10 minutes and took the lead with a brilliant goal from young Luke Capstack.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Gradually the Royals started to get on top and Nick Edmonds equalised with a left foot cracker. Storeys held out until half-time with the score 1-1.

The Royals started much better in the second half and soon got on top.

They took the lead when Dan Edmonds fired in an unstoppable 30 yards shot to make it 2-1.

Dan Broadley, who was a thorn in Storeys’ side all game, won a penalty and he picked himself up to score and to make it 3-1.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Royals kept pressing and were rewarded when their young substitute Tom Conroy scored a brilliant header at the back post from a corner to make the final score 4-1 and move his team three points clear of the relegation area.

Carnforth Rangers are through to the final of the Lancashire FA Amateur Cup. Rangers were 2-0 winners over Bedians AFC from Manchester at AFC Darwen last Wednesday night.

They will now play Bel Air FC from Wigan in the final at the County Ground in Leyland on Friday, March 20.