North Lancashire League: Three sides through to last 16 of county cup

The Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire and District Football League had four representatives in the third round of the prestigious Lancashire Football Association Amateur Cup on Saturday.
North Lancashire League football.North Lancashire League football.
North Lancashire League football.

With Caton United meeting Marsh United at least one team had to go however.

The game at Willow Lane saw the two sides largely cancel each other out but it did start with a bang as Marsh went in front on their first attack two minutes in, Billy Woodford firing home from 20 yards.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Caton created the better chances as they went in search of an equaliser, Liam Moffatt hitting the crossbar.

The visitors were level with seconds to go in a poor first period, Nathan Jackson converting a right-wing cross with the last kick of the half.

The second half produced little in the way of action despite one goal looking like it would settle the tie.

Penalties were the inevitable outcome, Caton missing two of their spot kicks as Marsh progressed 4-3 after a 1-1 draw in normal time.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Morecambe Royals travelled to Wardle of the Rochdale League and were soon 2-0 behind.

The Greater Manchester side threatened to run away with things before Dan Broadley pulled a fine goal back for the Royals.

The joy was shortlived as Wardle soon restored their two-goal lead before Matthew Armistead kept the Morecambe side in touch with fantastic free-kick.

There was time for a sixth goal in the first half as the Royals drew level when Johnny Durnan scored another fine goal.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Durnan added his second after the break to give the Royals the lead for the first time at 4-3.

The North Lancashire league side looked set to progress until deep in stoppage time when the hosts loaded the penalty area at a corner and equalised with the last kick of the game.

The match went straight to penalties with the Royals dispatching their first four.

Having missed an earlier spot kick Wardle then saw the decisive penalty brilliantly saved by Royals stopper Liam Wilkinson as they progressed 4-3.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Premier Division leaders Carnforth Rangers put their patchy form to one side with 1-0 win over Wigan side Winstanley St Aidans thanks to Damien Murphy’s goal as they became the third North Lancashire League side to reach the last 16.

There were two big shocks in the Black Dragon Senior Challenge Cup.

In round two, Premier Division Ingleton were humbled 4-3 by injury-hit Division One side Lancaster Rovers.

The game was locked at 3-3 after 90 minutes with Dan Tyrer, with two, and Joseph Towers on target for Ingleton with Josh Lancaster, Jake Harrison and Michael Reghilini scoring for Rovers.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

With everyone turning their attention to penalties the lesser ranked side shocked their loftier opponents with Reghilini scoring with the last kick of the game.

Also in round two, Division One Kirkby Lonsdale were 6-4 winners over improving Division Two side CC Wanderers in a high-scoring game and Division Two leaders Freehold gave Premier Division Trimpell and Bare Rangers a real fright despite going down 4-2.

The second shock of the day saw Premier Division Storeys lose 2-1 to Division Two AFC Moorlands in the third round.

Storey were under strength and it was a tight contest but the Moorlands side pressed and harassed their higher-ranked opponents and snatched two well-taken goals scored by Ryan Greenland and Jack Salisbury.

In reply Gareth Turner scored the Storeys goal.

Also in round three Division One side Westgate Wanderers put up a brave performance against high-flying Premier Division side Moor Lane as they went down 4-2.