North Lancashire league round-up: Unlucky Royals dumped out of cup

Action from Bowerham v TIC Dynamos.
Action from Bowerham v TIC Dynamos.
Share this article

Morecambe Royals crashed out of the LFA Amateur Cup first round on Saturday after a terrific game against a very good Milton side from Manchester.

The Royals were well in the game for long periods and were unlucky to lose 4-3.

Bowerham v TIC Dynamos - North Lancs Football

Bowerham v TIC Dynamos - North Lancs Football

In the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire and District Football League Premier Division, Bowerham played poorly as they went down without a fight to improving TIC Dynamos/Overton, losing 4-1.

Robert Goldsborough scored twice, Steve Wiggins got the goal of the game with Steffan Dixon adding to Bowerham’s woes when he scored the Dynamos’ fourth goal after a comedy of defensive errors.

The only bright note for a deflated Bowerham side was in a brief spell which saw Alastair Laird play some excellent football before setting up Joe Bouskill for his goal.

The young and improving Marsh United appeared to be heading for a surprise when they took the lead against strong favourites Cartmel after Chrisztoff Michalak scored, albeit against the run of play, during a frenzied first half.

Bowerham v TIC Dynamos - North Lancs Football

Bowerham v TIC Dynamos - North Lancs Football

Just before half-time a mistake allowed Cartmel to equalise when leading scorer Joel Drinkall latched on to the loose ball and scored.

In the second half Marsh continued to thwart the eager young Cartmel front runners but within the space of five minutes the game had been taken away from Marsh after Carl Airey and then Drinkall with his second made it 3-1.

As the Marsh defenders tired under the pressure David Regan scored the fourth.

The win puts Cartmel top of the league with Marsh bottom.

College AFC made heavy weather of beating Bentham in a game that saw both teams play well in at times.

The College side were much better at going forward and should have won by more than just the single goal in a 1-0 win.

Their goal was scored by Jordan Lomax.

Galgate, without a win so far this season played out of their skins to hold leaders Carnforth Rangers, one of the early season favourites for the title, to a fully deserved 1-1 draw.

Carnforth played their usual good football but found it hard to break down the Galgate defence.

Steven Stirzaker scored the goal for Galgate with Matthew Garwood scoring for Carnforth.

Caton United, another team with an eye on the title, travelled to play Highgrove and battered them in the first half but found goals hard to come by until Jordan Sparks found the back of the net, followed shortly after by Scott Tremble.

This should have set Caton up for a big score but Highgrove never gave up and at half-time the score remained 2-0.

The second half saw a big transformation in the game, instead of Caton carrying on where they left off they were put on the back foot from the first whistle.

Highgrove turned the screw and battered the Caton side, who hardly got out of their own half.

Highgrove applied more and more pressure and when their goal came it was well worked and well deserved, Connor Williams on the mark.

Highgrove continued to batter the Caton defenders looking for the equaliser which they deserved on their second half performance.

In the 90th minute a long clearance out of defence saw Caton breakaway for Steve Oliver to make the game safe for a much relieved Caton, who remain in third place.

On this second half performance it will not take Highgrove long to move up the table.