North Lancashire League round-up: Sides in Challenge Cup action

In the Eric Wilson Senior Challenge Cup first round, one of the most exciting and thrilling games seen at Arnside for many years saw the home side come out on top in their game against College.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 21st October 2015, 11:53 am
North Lancashire League.
North Lancashire League.

The sides could not be separated after 90 minutes with the score locked at 2-2.

Chris Heneberry scored the opener for Arnside, the other an own goal by Kieron McBride.

In reply Eric Bradbury and Tim Fletcher scored for College which brought extra time.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Aaron Caldwell gave College the lead and it looked then as though it would be enough for the Division One side to take the game.

But with seconds remaining the man of the moment James Kirkham rescued Arnside by scoring his 150th goal for the first team and took the game to a penalty shoot out which Arnside won 6-5.

Meanwhile, FC Brittania were beaten 6-3 at home to near neighbours Freehold.

David Bowes opened the scoring for Brittania but Freehold skipper Sean Morgan equalised before half-time.

Two goals in as many minutes from Laurie Atkinson put the visitors in control early in the second half before Steve Siddons pulled one back.

Paul Campbell put Freehold 4-2 up with a superb goal and Liam Morgan made it five soon after with a good header.

Atkinson completed his hat-trick to make it 6-2 before Adam Knowles scored a consolation for Brittania.

Premier Division high-fliers Caton United were 11-0 winners over Division Two Torrisholme.

Storeys saw off Burton United of Division Three but were made to work hard for their 2-1 victory.

Burton made a positive start and created several good chances but they weren’t able to capitalise.

On the stroke of half time Alex Haile stunned Storeys when he beat two defenders before curling a left foot shot into the far corner of the net.

With 10 minutes remaining Storeys were awarded a penalty following a rash challenge in the box and Paul Turner equalised. Then two minutes from time a Dave Whitlaw corner went straight in to give his team the win.

In the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire Football League Premier Division, an improved Galgate won 2-0 away at Bowerham.

They played with much more purpose than in their previous game against Grange and deserved to win with goals from Steve Wood and Roy Raceer. Bowerham did stage a late recovery and but for the young Galgate keeper could have snatched a draw.

He brilliantly held on to a snap shot from four yards out then punched away another close-range effort from the same attacker two minutes later.

But after this wobble Galgate saw the remainder of the game out without anymore problems.

Cartmel, after losing their last three games, finally got back to winning ways when they beat a good Highgrove side 3-0.

Young Carl Airey was man of the match for Cartmel after he scored two great goals, his strike partner Jamie Chick scored his side’s third to make the game safe as Highgrove threatened to get back into it.

This win moves Cartmel to the top of the division.