North Lancashire League round-up: Only one game beats weather in Premier Division

On Christmas Eve Westgate Wanderers Football Club visited the children's ward at RLI to hand out 40 selection boxes to staff and patients.
On Christmas Eve Westgate Wanderers Football Club visited the children's ward at RLI to hand out 40 selection boxes to staff and patients.

In the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire and District Football League Premier Division only one game beat the weather and that was at Ingleton.

Ingleton and Cartmel and District served up a great match for the faithful spectators in what would have been the match of the day on any other Saturday with both sides riding high in the league, Cartmel third and Ingleton fourth.

Both teams played really well on a soft pitch that got worse as the game went on.

Four good goals were scored by Jake Fawcett and Alex Hartley for Ingleton and Matthew Burrows and Dean Richards for Cartmel.

Probably the fairest result was a draw but both sides will be kicking themselves for the chances they missed.

In the Alan Shanks/Fisher/Howson Remembrance Cup third Round Ingleton Reserves from the lower end of Division Two and fielding a weakened team probably caused the shock of the season so far.

They travelled to play and beat high flying Division One side Cartmel and District Reserves, holders of the trophy for the last four seasons and beaten only once so far this season.

Both sides went looking for goals from the start but good defending was the order of the day until cracks started to appear as both sets of players started to tire in the heavy conditions.

This resulted in goals for Ben Clarke for Cartmel and a brace for Ingleton’s Mark Dobson.

This excellent win puts Ingleton into the semi-finals where they will travel to the winners of the Storeys Reserves/Carnforth Rangers A tie.

In the Division One Holdens Solicitors/Gibson Cup first round Millhead shook Storeys with the excellent football they played throughout the game.

They wanted to win the game more and were nearly always first to the ball and with man of the match Jack Brown in excellent form Millhead deserved to win.

It could have been very different as Storeys missed two penalties as they bowed out of the competition, losing 5-0.

Brett Allen, Jamie Nicholls, Chris Cottam with two excellent goals and a deserved goal for Jack Brown were the scorers for Millhead.

In the second round Millhead will be away to Grange.

In the second round Carnforth Rangers Reserves’s excellent form continued as they entertained and beat league leaders Moor Lane to move into the semi-finals.

Both sides played good football but it was the Rangers team that came out on top with goals either side of half time.

Daniel Syson scored the first and Kyle Davies scored the second.

In the semi final Carnforth Rangers will be away to the winners of the TIC Dyn/Overton/Middleton Reserves/Westgate Wanderers tie.

In the league the match of the day was without doubt between second placed Heysham and fourth placed Arnside. It was a game that Arnside just could not afford to lose if they wanted to keep in touch with the top two and win promotion.

Both teams adapted well to the conditions and played really well in a high scoring game.

Arnside just had the edge over a hard working Heysham side that just would not give in and at times were unlucky before going down 5-3.

The scorers for Arnside were Adam Richardson (2), Marco Thompson, James Kirkham and James Thornton.

Heysham’s replies were from Liam Steele with two good goals and Jamie McGowan.

This win still leaves Arnside 11 points behind Heysham but with four games in hand.