North Lancashire League round-up: Cup action dominates first weekend of 2016

Carnforth Rangers.
Carnforth Rangers.

In the Eric Wilson Senior Challenge Cup second round, the tie between Lancaster Rovers and Carnforth Ranger finally took place, with Carnforth winning 2-1.

The game was played at a fast pace and it was end-to-end, neither side giving anything away.

As the game wore on the more experienced Carnforth side started to get on top with Damien Murphy scoring two very good goals with Tony Smith scoring for Lancaster Rovers.

The game could have gone either way but the defence of Carnforth was just too strong.

In the quarter finals Carnforth will be away to the winners of the Freehold/Trimpell and Bare Rangers tie.

Westgate Wanders, leaders of Division One, had to change grounds and play at the home of mid-table AFC Moorlands in their second round clash, with the hosts winning 4-1.

Moorlands set about the game in a determined frame of mind and soon took control of the game.

Goals soon started to find the back of the net with the excellent Ryan Greenwood scoring a scintillating hat-trick.

A brief rally saw Matthew Dalton score a fine goal only for Jack Salisbury to score a fourth for Moorlands.

In the quarter finals Moorlands will have a daunting task when they entertain the winners of the Mayfield United/Highgrove tie.

Storeys beat Arnside 5-3 in another game that had to be switched due to cancellations Storeys travelled to Arnside with high expectations of winning the game but at times it was touch and go with both sides playing well and the lead changing hands several times before Storeys finally came out on top.

Star man was 46-year-old Tony Morgan who led the Storeys forward line really well.

He went on to be the man on the match after scoring a superb hat-trick. David Leslie and Daniel Knowles scored the other Storeys goals.

In reply Jordan Moore, Elliott Bousfield and leading scorer James Kirkham with the goal of the game scored for Arnside.

In the quarter finals Storeys will be at home to Preesall and Pilling. The eagerly awaited tie between near neighbours Grange and Cartmel and District did not live up to all the local hype.

The game turned out to be almost a walkover for Premier side Cartmel against the current leaders of Division Two with Cartmel scoring almost at will as they rattled in seven goals without reply, Carl Airey with a hat-trick and Matthew Burrows with four sweetly struck goals.

In the quarter final Cartmel will be at home to the winners of the Ingleton/Caton United which is scheduled to take place this Saturday.

In the AlanShanks/Fisher/Howson Remembrance Cup first round, another often cancelled game between Boys’ Club Reserves and College AFC Reserves finally took place with the much better College side coming out on top, 4-1.

College from Division Three played much the better football and once Elliott Kitchen had given them the lead there was only going to be one winner.

Luke Fairclough, just 16 years of age, scored his first goal for College to make it 2-0.

College made it 3-0 in the 70th minute as Fairclough picked his spot to score a fabulous goal.

Boys’ Club scored the goal they deserved through Matthew Smith but it was too little too late as Jeff Walmsley was sent clear down the middle and had only the keeper to beat, the keeper made initially a fantastic save, only for the ball to hit the striker and rebound into an empty net.