North Lancashire League round-up: Caton go back to top as Carnforth beat Galgate in cup

North Lancashire League.
North Lancashire League.

In the Baines Bauggley Penhale North Lancashire Football League Premier Division, bottom club College AFC put up a gallant fight against an in-form Highgrove.

College had ample chances to win the game but despite having their share of possession came up short in front of goal as Highgrove dug in and withstood everything the College side threw at 

Highgrove improved as the game went on and after Max Owen gave them the lead they never looked back and deserved a win which leaves them in mid-table.

Marsh United fielded a weakened team when they entertained championship chasing Caton United.

The game started with Caton on top and took the lead after just 10 minutes when Liam Jeffreys latched on to a pass from Nathan Jackson to score from 20 yards giving the keeper no chance.

Marsh tried to retaliate but with captain Dave Wood leading by example and Alec Thwaite at the heart of defence their chances were limited.

Every time Caton attacked it looked as though they would score but they were wasteful with the chances created.

The second half again Caton the better side but with Marsh United tightening their defence they found chances hard to come by.

Marsh’s attacks became more dangerous but they still could not test Marshall in Caton’s goal.

With 20 minutes remaining Dave Wood surged down the left wing before shooting for goal from 25 yards, the ball hit the inside of the far post before trickling into the net to virtually win the game for his side.

Marsh had no answer to this and conceded a third when Liam Moffatt was brought down in the area with the penalty duly dispatched by Nathan Jackson sending keeper the wrong way to make it 

Moffatt then evaded his marker to score from close in with the fifth goal coming in the last minute when Jackson tried a shot over his shoulder and to his surprise it flew into the net to give his side a resounding 5-0 victory.

These three valuable points took Caton back to the top two points ahead of Galgate and four ahead of Carnforth Rangers.

Cartmel and District kept alive their hopes of winning the championship after a hard fought game against Storeys.

The game could have gone either way but the more constructive Cartmel side just edged it with young Carl Airey and Steven Porter scoring the goals.

Storeys were always in with a chance of gaining at least one point after Neil Turner scored to set up a tense finish.

Bentham recorded their 10th draw so far this season as their match with Trimpell and Bare Rangers ended all square.

Bentham’s shot-shy forward line failed to hit the target despite creating lots of chances and never looked as though they would score.

Trimpell were almost as bad after failing to trouble the Bentham keeper.

The one point gained by Trimpell moved them closer to safety whilst Bentham will rue all the drawn games as their challenge for the title comes to and end.

The match of the day was the clash between Premier Division leaders Galgate and third in the table Carnforth Rangers who met in the quarter-finals of the Sam Price Memorial Cup.

The visitors Carnforth ran out 3-1 winners against an under-strength Galgate with James Rafferty, George Henderson and Mark Plevey on target.

Steve McMinn got Galgate’s consolation in a feisty affair.

Carnforth are running a coach to their Lancashire Amateur Cup final against Wigan side Bel Air FC at the County Ground in Leyland on Friday, March 20.

Transport leaves the Ex-Servicemen’s Club on Scotland Road at 4.45pm. 
Call Gavin on 07904 405038 to book a place costing £6.